Friday, May 5, 2017

Who’s Asking?

When coaching, the answer to a question always depends on who’s asking.  We make our coaching personal by considering context: What we know about the teacher, her students, the curriculum, and more. So ‘who’s asking’ matters.

This week, I learned another side of the ‘who’s asking’ question from a very wise teacher.  Beth and I were talking about her experiences working with a coach.  She described how, in the past, she was often defensive when her instructional coach suggested areas for improvement.  Providing justification or a different explanation seemed like her natural response when she was confronted with what felt like criticism.  After the fact, she said, she’d realize that the coach had good intentions and that her suggestion was actually a good one, but it was hard to fight that instinctive, self-protective response.

So Beth figured out how to change the game from defense to offense.  Now she leads into a coaching conversation by asking, “What suggestions do you have?” or “What did you notice that I should think about?”  If her coach has observed a lesson, she acknowledges the benefits of another set of eyes in the classroom. Beth says something like, “I bet you noticed some things that I missed because I was so busy teaching.  Tell me about it!”  By taking this assertive approach, Beth finds that she is not as defensive when her coach makes a suggestion.  She is open, because she is the one asking.  What a smart teacher!

My plan is to make Beth’s brilliant insight part of the conversation with the teachers I’m working with.  If I share Beth’s example, I think they’ll be able to identify with her experience, and many of them will give it a try.  This is a new and exciting idea for me!  If you try it, let me know how it goes by commenting on this post.  I look forward to trying this myself and to hearing about your experiences!


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Perspectives for school leadership success:



Ideas for ending the school year on a high note:



Book quilt: A celebration of favorite books:



TedEd Videos for mathematical problem-solving:



Spotlight on project-based learning:


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!


No comments:

Post a Comment