Friday, May 19, 2017

No Dead Ends

Last week’s post focused on shortfalls; lots of time with minimal effect.  I told of my decision to “cut my losses” with a teacher who I’d been working with all year with little growth.  If you missed that post, you can read about it here.

Having made the decision to shift my time and energy elsewhere, I had a concluding conference with “Nicole” this week.  I found some pluses to highlight – small steps in the right direction that had occurred recently.  I didn’t sugar-coat the situation; the feedback tool we’ve been using is pretty objective and showed there was still much room for growth.  As I talked about my decision to conclude our coaching cycle, I noticed that her shoulders dropped and she leaned back and became more relaxed….confirmation that my decision to move on was right (for now).  

I was curious, though, to notice that she actually seemed to be more interested than usual in my feedback after announcing this decision.  It was as if she knew that now I wouldn’t be marking her progress, so she’d have to take on that responsibility.  Seeing her more in tune, I tried to put together the right blend of compliment and recommendation, making sure to sandwich my suggestions between praise and affirmation.  My “antennas” were up for a shut down on her part, but it didn’t come.

Before meeting with Nicole, I had put together the chart below.  In our conversation, I affirming there had been progress by asking, “What made the lesson I saw yesterday work so much better than the last one I observed?”  Then, as the conversation moved forward, I put a mental check mark by each one of the items below as it naturally flowed in the conversation.  And I intentionally included the items that didn’t somehow come up, keeping up the dance between praise and suggestion. 

Here are the things I noted:

Pluses
Concerns
Throughout most of the read aloud, students were really paying attention.

You pulled sticks to ask students questions, ensuring that more students participated. You could have encouraged engagement even more by having everyone get an answer in their head before calling a name.

You asked questions when Ss had difficulty retelling the story.  This scaffolded students’ learning.

Although most questions were literal, recall questions, the “Why” question required higher-level thinking.  That would have been a good one for turn & talk. 
 
When modeling, you incorporated sight words with choral spelling, reminded students what to do if they didn’t know how to spell a word.

Before sending students to their seats, you set expectations for what it would “look like and sound like” while they were working.  
When you asked the question, “When we look for key details in our book, what are we looking for?”  students had a difficult time answering the question.  Why do you think the question was hard for them? 

They also had a hard time with the question, “What if a key detail was left out? What would you think?” Why do you think they struggled with that question? 
Did students talk about it during T&T?

Do you think some of the students may have heard this story before? Did you think about that while planning the lesson?  How might you have modified the lesson based on some students already knowing the story?

Ss would have benefited from a couple of reminders during the story to be listening for key ideas.



At the end of the conversation, I think we both felt good.  It was an end, of sorts, but it didn’t feel like a dead end.  At some point, hopefully we’ll both be open to circling back around for more.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Tenets about conferring (with students, but read with a lens for working with teachers, as well):



Incorporate visual literacies - Sites for creating a comic:



Paraphrasing in science:



Spotlight on inquiry-based teaching and learning:



When students say they have nothing to write:


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!



No comments:

Post a Comment