Saturday, May 30, 2015

Appreciation: Spreading the Sunshine

School is out and I am on my dad’s farm. He has been gone for over a year, but of course, his influence remains. I’ve been reflecting on his use of the word, “appreciate.” My dad grew up (and raised us) in a family where love was expressed through actions. In both the family he was raised in and the one he raised, each child felt they were the special one. This despite the fact that the words, “I love you,” were rarely spoken. But there was a substitute which, as I came to reflect on it over the years, meant somehow more. He would often say, “I appreciate you.” This phrase held value about who I was and what I did, and his words were affirming.

You’ve probably heard about the book, The Five Languages of Love. But have you heard about the book by the same author called, The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace? The authors purport that expressing appreciation will reduce toxicity and increase productivity at work. Their studies found that 70% of employees say they receive no praise or recognition at work*, leaving people feeling undervalued.

I recently attended an end-of-year teacher appreciation night put on by a local church. Youth selected a teacher they wanted to recognize for the impact they had had on their lives. The superintendent of our district was invited, and in her comments she remarked how infrequently teachers receive that kind of appreciation; she said she wished every one of the teachers in the district would have that opportunity.

As a coach, you have the chance to spread a little sunshine. If school is out for you, a note in the mail expressing appreciation would be such a welcome surprise! If your school is still in session, that final message in the teachers’ mailboxes can end the year on a positive note. Expressing appreciation is one way to affirm good things that have happened throughout the year.

In the latter part of my dad’s life, he began using the word “love” more frequently. But it felt ever-so-meaningful when he said to me, “I love you and I appreciate you!”

Appreciation spreads the sunshine.




This week, you might want to take a look at:

A PD podcast: Do teachers learn differently than their students? (You’ll find a host of other podcasts here as well):

Many of the ideas in this article on mentoring new teachers are important beyond the first year:



Gradually releasing: A coaching minute on “I do, We do, You do.”



How to create fruitful co-teaching experiences:



Thoughts on Marie Clay’s words, “What is right about what is wrong?”:




That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment