Friday, June 5, 2015

Reflection: “I will be sure to….”

“I will be sure to…..” is a powerful statement for reflection.

A coaching conversation provides the opportunity to process an experience and construct meaning that can be applied in the future. It’s a deliberate pause for contemplation.

Reflection promotes learning when we analyze contextual and procedural influences, consider outcomes, make connections with past experiences, and then create new meaning based on a synthesis of these factors. We can ask questions such as, “What insights can we take from this?" “What do we want to stay mindful of from now on?” or “What do we want to be sure to do (or not do)?” Posing questions such as these creates commitment to application.

At the end of a school year, I find myself asking these questions not only of the teachers and students I’m working with, but also of myself. When I pause to generate my own new learning, I’m living the appeal that I make to my students: Be a lifelong learner! Never stop looking for ways to improve! One of the amazing things about being a teacher and coach is that you will never “arrive.” There is always something new on the horizon. When we take insights with us on that next step that we have gained from past experience, the new path is likely to be even more fruitful than the last.

As this school year ends, I will be sure to pause and reflect on the things I want to be sure to do the next time around!


This week, you might want to take a look at:

A video about the “I will be sure to” reflection strategy for students:



Even though this is an end-of-year ideas list, it has good ideas to put in place from the start that will help students see their growth over time. If school is still in session in your district, you can run with these ideas now:



Summer writing ideas:



End-of-year ideas:



Wrapping up a writing year (ideas for high-school students):



New picture-book biographies to add to your wish list:



A summer reading list for teachers:




That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment