Friday, November 1, 2019

Not all Pumpkins Turn Into Coaches


During this harvest season, images of pumpkins are everywhere, looking golden and ripe.  Some of these round beauties met their demise yesterday, turning into Jack-o-Lanterns.  I was reminded of this makeover in an advertising email with the heading, “Not all pumpkins turn into coaches!”  That got me thinking about the Cinderella story and her magically-transformed pumpkin-coach – the coach that carried her to the fortuitous ball. 

Coaches of the Cinderella variety are conveyances that carry people to where they want to go.  Costa & Garmston use this as a metaphor for instructional coaching, saying, “To coach means to convey a valued colleague from where he or she is to where he or she wants to be.”  It’s a useful metaphor, but, like all metaphors, it’s faulty if we take it too far.  I don’t like the carriage image that implies carrying someone along.  When coaching, I hope to support teachers as they refine perceptions and processes so that they are carrying themselves.

How do we turn into the kind of coach who invites, moves, and empowers teachers?  For me, it’s an ongoing transformation.  I’m moving, too, trying to get better at my craft while I help teachers improve theirs. 

Something I’m continually thinking about is how to offer the right amount of support – not too little, not too much…just right!  The GIR model creates a kind of path for this, for thinking about how to build capacity by making sure teachers have ownership for the process. 

I’ve had enough experience to know that sometimes a recommendation is just what is needed – I take a consulting role.  But I’ve noticed that sometimes my recommendations are perceived as directives.  It’s difficult, when sitting in the coach’s seat, to ensure that the teacher maintains ownership for instructional decisions.  I don’t want my suggestions to curb others’ thinking.  I don’t want to save the day; I want to make sure they do.

Through recommendations, I want to invest in teachers, not divest them.  I want to infuse ideas that build their genius, not rob them of the opportunity to use and extend their own intelligence.  I want my recommendations to encourage teachers to use their talent, expertise, and experience.  I want to support a teacher’s ability to solve and avoid problems.  I want to contribute a relevant insight that will move the teacher forward.  All this while acknowledging that the teacher knows his students and their needs, that he has insights gained from first-hand experience that will help him make good decisions.  I want to get involved in the details in appropriate ways while keeping the ownership with the teacher.  It is sometimes hard to know when to talk and when to stop.


For me, a writer’s workshop analogy helps me remember about positions of power.  As I confer with students, I have to resist the urge to put a mark to the child’s page.  If I really want to support her writing growth, the pencil has to stay in her hand.  We can talk about craft, but she is the one who will choose how to use it in her writing.  Similarly, as a coach, I sometimes recommend, but the pen must stay in the teachers’ hand (metaphorically) if I want her to convey herself to where she wants to be as a teacher.  She decides how to apply the craft.

As the harvest season moves on and I see more images for pumpkin transformations (pie, anyone?), I’ll use that as a cue to do a coaching self-check: Who has the pen? Who has the power?  Is my coaching helping the teacher move along a path she has chosen?  I hope you’ll join me in the magical transformation of becoming a better coach.

This week, you might want to take a look at:

This post is about more than classroom management; consider how the conversation with teachers was facilitated (they include their agenda at the end):



Showing appreciation for peers’ contributions:



Free, online, non-fiction text sets:



Structures to create a coaching culture:


Try 6 Ed Tech tools recommended in this Cult of Pedagogy podcast episode:


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!


No comments:

Post a Comment