Friday, January 30, 2015

Time for a Conversation

It was one of those awful moments of self-awareness. My husband and I had just discussed a money issue, and things were a little tense. “I just wanted to have a conversation about it,” I said. “We didn’t have a conversation,” he said. “You talked at me about it.” Painfully true. Luckily, we have 30+ years of water under the bridge and lots of practice at forgiving, so all is well. But it made me think about coaching……

Coaching is about conversations. When we talk about teaching, there’s an exchange of ideas, with both (or all) parties offering content for the dialogue. A shared belief that teaching is such important and complex work that we will never do it perfectly invites rich professional conversations.

Other than modeling, all of the coaching moves in the GIR model should be dialogic in nature. The back-and-forth of conversation is what leads to understanding and changed practice. Let’s take a closer look at asking questions as dialogue.  Here's a non-example:

This week, I asked a student teacher I was working with an admittedly great question! I’d been in her room during one of those magical discussions where students build on one another’s ideas in an authentic way. Kids were describing what a main idea is, and they really helped each other learn. Not much later in the lesson, however, the magic was gone and the discussion felt forced. So, in our debrief conversation, I wanted to take the intern back to the magical spot for analysis. I asked, “What’s your hypothesis about why that magical interaction happened?”  You’ve got to admit, that is a good question!  But here’s where I fell short in my obligation as a coach. After only a few seconds of wait time, I jumped in and asked if I could share my hypothesis. That was a conversation killer! When I suggested that her open-ended question and spontaneous and authentic response to a students’ answer had sparked the magic, the student teacher nodded and smiled. But I had robbed her of the opportunity of figuring that out for herself, which would have been much richer learning.

Quickly, I knew what I should have done, but it was too late. I should have waited longer for her to respond, even though her peers were all staring at her (that would have provided a good model for them, right?). If silence persisted, I could have scaffolded her thinking with additional questions that took her back to the moment and helped her relive and reflect. But I didn’t --- and I know better than that!

So, I resolve to “walk the talk” and engage in two-way conversations with those I am coaching. When I give a less-confident teacher a recommendation, it’s going to be more effective if couched in dialogue. Even praise will hit its mark in a more meaningful way if it’s part of an exchange of ideas.

And, if my husband’s lucky. I might just bring my coaching skills home.  J


This week, you might want to take a look at:

The Ted Talk about body language has important implications for coaches and teachers:



Getting students’ attention without saying a word (1 minute worth sharing):



Ideas for using technology to teach grammar and sentence fluency:



Ideas for Black History Month on Pinterest:



Someone’s version of the 50 Top books for teachers – how many have you read?

http://www.eschoolnews.com/2014/06/13/50-top-books-teachers-545/2/


 That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment