*******************************************************************************************************************
You can find My Coaches Couch, the podcast (with different content) in your favorite podcast app or at MyCoachesCouch.podbean.com.
*******************************************************************************************************************

When it comes it exercise, sprints work. They burn calories! When it comes to coaching for growth, though, we don’t want teachers sprinting. Sprinting leaves us exhausted, and it’s not sustainable for the long haul. So, when it comes to coaching for growth, let’s ask teachers to stretch, not sprint.
In
coaching, sprinting looks like going for it all in one shot. Stretching means inching
a little closer to the goal. I’ve noticed that, if I’m consistent about stretching
physically, I bend a little deeper and reach a little farther as time passes. A
stretch feels good, and I can see the results, so I’m motivated to keep it up.
Coaching
for Stretch
As
coaches, we support growth. We hope to see new strategies, refined practice,
more-responsive interactions with students – ultimately, more effective
teaching and learning. But it’s a gradual process. That’s why, in coaching, we
should go for stretch, not sprint. Physically, stretching is sustainable; similarly,
coaching for stretch helps teachers keep up the good work.
Stretching
is a just-right kind of challenge: we feel stretch with just a little extra press.
Coaches can offer the just-right press that generates growth. If a teacher
wants to improve classroom discussion, instead of offering multiple fixes, we
might say, “I’m wondering whether giving students a little more think time
might help.” It’s offering a gentle shift, a little stretch.
Teachers
deepen their learning over time through adjustment and reflection. It’s not
about one big push – it’s about repeated opportunities to lean in and learn. Coaches
help teachers to find the right stretch.
Find
the Right Stretch
Stretch
does not mean ease. Stretching that induces progress takes a steady press. It’s
not just doing what we’ve always done – it’s doing that, plus a little more.
For a teacher, the stretch might be thinking differently, reconsidering a
practice, or trying something unfamiliar. But it needs to be reachable when the
teacher sinks in to give it a try. It’s the difference between restructuring class
discussions and asking, “What if you tried a discussion routine with this small
group?” The first could leave a teacher wondering how to begin. The second
creates a way to begin.
Choosing
the right coaching move can also create a just-right stretch. Asking the
teacher to generate possible solutions is sometimes a sprint; if questioning is
too much, we can recommend or offer to model a new routine. The right level of
support creates a stretch, and as we revisit and reflect, we can go a little
deeper. This coaching
rhythm creates momentum without exhaustion.
Think
Progress, Not Pace
Learning
isn’t about visible speed. A teacher who spends three weeks thoughtfully
experimenting with one new discussion strategy may be making more meaningful
progress than a teacher who implements five strategies in three weeks without
really examining whether any of them made a difference.
The
goal isn’t to get teachers through a coaching cycle as quickly as possible. It’s
to help them develop the knowledge, skills, confidence, and judgment to
continue growing. Then we can help them identify the next stretch. Sustainable
growth has a rhythm: try, notice, reflect, adjust, and try again.
So
as you work with teachers this week, ask yourself, “What could be a meaningful
stretch for this teacher? How can we avoid a sprint?” And ask the teacher, “What
feels like a stretch you’re ready to try?”
Creating
a stretch instead of a sprint helps teachers make meaningful progress that they
can own, sustain, and build on.
This
week, you might want to take a look at:
You can find My Coaches Couch, the podcast (with different content) in your favorite podcast app or at MyCoachesCouch.podbean.com.

When it comes it exercise, sprints work. They burn calories! When it comes to coaching for growth, though, we don’t want teachers sprinting. Sprinting leaves us exhausted, and it’s not sustainable for the long haul. So, when it comes to coaching for growth, let’s ask teachers to stretch, not sprint.
Time
management tips for novice educators:
https://www.edutopia.org/article/time-task-management-tips-new-teachers
Book-choosing strategies for middle schoolers:
https://choiceliteracy.com/article/dont-judge-a-book-by-its-cover-teaching-book-choice-strategies-to-middle-schoolers/
Trust – the invisible coaching element:
https://www.edutopia.org/article/supporting-teacher-growth-trusting-relationships
Learning grammar through discovery:
https://www.middleweb.com/54264/its-time-for-teachers-to-put-grammar-in-its-place/
Ideas for making anchor charts more student-centered:
https://twowritingteachers.org/2018/10/10/co-constructing/
That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!
Want more coaching tips? Check out my book, Differentiated Mentoring & Coaching in Education: From Preservice Teacher to Expert Practitioner, available from Teachers College Press! I’m so excited to share it with you! You can use the code: SEP2026 for 15% off. Click here and I’ll email you the free Book Group Study Guide that includes questions, prompts, and activities you can use as you share the book with colleagues. I hope you’ll love this book as much as I loved making it for you!
https://www.edutopia.org/article/time-task-management-tips-new-teachers
Book-choosing strategies for middle schoolers:
https://choiceliteracy.com/article/dont-judge-a-book-by-its-cover-teaching-book-choice-strategies-to-middle-schoolers/
Trust – the invisible coaching element:
https://www.edutopia.org/article/supporting-teacher-growth-trusting-relationships
Learning grammar through discovery:
https://www.middleweb.com/54264/its-time-for-teachers-to-put-grammar-in-its-place/
Ideas for making anchor charts more student-centered:
https://twowritingteachers.org/2018/10/10/co-constructing/
That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!
Want more coaching tips? Check out my book, Differentiated Mentoring & Coaching in Education: From Preservice Teacher to Expert Practitioner, available from Teachers College Press! I’m so excited to share it with you! You can use the code: SEP2026 for 15% off. Click here and I’ll email you the free Book Group Study Guide that includes questions, prompts, and activities you can use as you share the book with colleagues. I hope you’ll love this book as much as I loved making it for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment