Saturday, October 8, 2022

Favorite Things

 
This week, I had the pleasure of observing a math lesson in Hailee’s 5th grade class. Students were reviewing the concept of volume by “filling in the grid” of 6 sections their paper was divided into.  Hailee had strewn a bunch of 3”x5” cards in a corner of the carpet, each with a volume problem on it. Students picked up one card at a time, figured out the problem in one section of their paper, then returned the card to the carpet and chose another.
 
When Hailee and I met, I invited her to reflect: “What stands out as you think back on that lesson?” I asked.
 
Hailee first mentioned how much students loved getting up to pick their problems; she was surprised by how engaging this was. “I could have just given them a worksheet with six problems,” she said, “Because that’s actually what they did.”
 
“Yes!” I agreed. “That was brilliant! Not only did it give them an authentic opportunity for movement, which always helps with attention, it also provided an element of choice. Since the problems were at different levels of difficulty, it gave students an opportunity to self-differentiate.”
 
“I hadn’t thought about that differentiation piece,” Hannah said.  She continued, “I think I’ll do something like this again. I could use it to give students problems to practice about anything!”
 
Again, I agreed, and extended that idea: “You could really adapt this idea for any content area. Now that you’ve taught the routine, it would be easy to replicate. You wouldn’t want to do it too often, of course, but what a great activity to have in your students’ repertoire!”
 
As Hailee continued reflecting, she mentioned that she felt she’d given clear directions for the activity. Since this was a goal we’d previously set together, it was definitely something to celebrate!  Not only had Hailee given clear directions, before sending them off to work, she’d asked if students had any questions. This was part of why the activity went so smoothly. Hailee’s comment about procedures gave me this opportunity to highlight something else I’d noticed. I emphasized that she had provided not only clear explanations for the activity, but also a clear explanation of the mathematical procedure of determining volume.
 
This discussion led right into the next point I had hoped to bring up. “There were so many great things about the lesson,” I said, “but my favorite thing was your focus on meaning.”
 
I noticed how attentive Hailee got as I said the words, “my favorite thing.” I noticed how the corners of her mouth quickly turned up in a smile. I paused for just a second to let that feeling sink in – for both of us. Hailee nodded.
 
Then I went on to recall what Hailee had done as she monitored students’ progress.  In the midst of the activity, Hailey called for students’ attention, and she said she’d noticed that some students were leaving off the units in their answers. “These aren’t just numbers,” Hailee said. “They mean something.” She then went on to name and describe some of the units in the problems: inches, feet, centimeters. “If we multiply 6 cm X 10 cm by 2 cm, we don’t just get 120. We get 120 centimenters.” She grabbed a ruler and showed them the centimeter markings. “The numbers mean something,” Hailee repeated.
 
Not only did I love the way Hailee drew attention to the meaning of units in volume, I loved the way she responded when I said, “My favorite thing…” I decided to try that again when I had a chance.
 
My next post-observation conversation was with Isabelle. In Isabelle’s case, discussing positive aspects of the lesson was especially important because she’d felt insecure about the lesson overall, but couldn’t really say why. What she needed most was a confidence boost. We discussed several positive aspects of the lesson. “We can see that students were really learning,” I said, as we looked at student work.  “And that’s the bottom line.  I’d say it was a successful lesson!”  
 
I summarized our discussion so far and then added, like I had with Hailee, about my favorite thing. For Isabelle’s lesson, it was connected to classroom management.  “So many great things,” I said. “I’m surprised you didn’t feel confident about the lesson.  But my favorite thing was the way you expected full participation.  You quickly re-engaged students whose attention wandered by just saying their name or asking them a quick question.  You used the agree/disagree gesture as an all-respond throughout the lesson that kept everyone participating.”  As with Hailee, Isabelle’s eyes lit up at the mention of “my favorite thing.”  She nodded and made a note as I continued the explanation.  
 
I think I’ve added a new “favorite thing” to my own repertoire! Saying that something is a “favorite thing” draws attention to a practice in a way that is likely to be memorable and foster ongoing use.
 
---------------------------------
Hooray!!! My new book, Differentiated Mentoring & Coaching in Education: From Preservice Teacher to Expert Practitioner is a fall release from Teachers College Press!  I’m so excited to share it with you! During September, you can use the code: OCTA2022 for 15% off plus FREE SHIPPING. Click  here  and I’ll email you the free Book Group Study Guide that includes questions, prompts, and activities you can use as you share the book with colleagues.  I hope you’ll love this book as much as I loved making it for you!
----------------------------------
 
This week, you might want to take a look at:
How acting boosts learning:
 
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-acting-out-in-school-boosts-learning/
 
 
A podcast about substantive conversation in the classroom:
 
http://www.idra.org/images/stories/CN-130.mp3
 
 
Picture books about worries and other emotions:
 
https://choiceliteracy.com/article/reassuring-worried-children-with-picture-books/
 
 
Myth-busting about differentiated instruction:
 
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/differentiated-instruction-myths-and-truths-john-mccarthy
 
 
Collaboration and teacher/teacher observation boosts learning:
 
http://tn.chalkbeat.org/2015/01/28/from-shanghai-to-collierville-collaboration-model-boosts-teacher-performance/
 
That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!
 
Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Follow on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch and Twitter and Instagram @vscollet for more coaching and teaching tips!  You can also find me at VickiCollet.com
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment