Friday, November 17, 2017

Ever-Ready Prompt

The Boy Scouts have a motto that also serves coaches well:  “Be prepared.”  As coaches, we may be surprised by a comment during a coaching conversation, we might be caught in the hall for an impromptu recommendation, and we often are asked to respond when we have incomplete information.  When we’re caught off-guard or feeling confused or uninformed, it’s helpful to have a tip-of-the-tongue response to give us time to settle, think, and get the bigger picture. An ever-ready response that works well for me in these situations is, “Say more about that.”

Peter Johnston, author of the excellent book, Opening Minds, describes use of the “Say more about that” prompt as a formative assessment tool when conferring with children.  I’ve found it to be equally powerful in coaching conversations.  “Say more about that” is an invitation that prompts the teacher to give me a better understanding of the situation and think things through herself.  It gives me time to shift my focus to the current situation and gain valuable insight that allows for an informed and thoughtful response.  And as the teacher articulates the question, she often clarifies her own thinking and begins formulating solutions.

Recently, I was walking down the hall when a teacher stopped me with, “Do you have a minute?” She asked about a recommendation given at a recent training (a training I hadn’t attended), where they’d been told not to give meaning-based texts to students before they were fluent readers.  Taken aback,   I prompted, “Say more about that.”  What ensued was a healthy conversation that I hope supported her own experience and expertise as a teacher of beginning readers.  As she began talking, she seemed hesitant, but as our conversation continued, she solidified her own philosophy about the part that decodable texts might play in the balanced diet of a novice reader.  If I had jumped in with the aghast response that initially sprang to mind, I would have denied the rich thinking that ensued as we processed together.  “Say more about that” paid off.

I’m just waiting for the time when one of the teachers I’m working with turns the tables.  After I give a recommendation during a passing-in-the-hall conversation, I’ll smile and know that I am having an impact when a teacher asks me to “Say more about that.”

This week, you might want to take a look at:

Ideas for improving peer feedback during writing workshop:

What will career-ready look like in 10-15 years? Here are some guesses:



Photos sure to spark interesting conversations (and attention to detail):



Suggestions for making grades more meaningful:



How to make a hovercraft (and other inexpensive, do-it-yourself physics ideas):


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Was this helpful?  Please share!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!



No comments:

Post a Comment