Saturday, July 8, 2017

Wish I Could Be There

If I rubbed a lamp and was granted one work-related wish from a genie, I’d wish for the chance to spend more time in classes.  Not only is it energizing and a learning experience for me, my most productive coaching comes after observing a lesson.

I don’t have a magic lamp to rub, however, so I’ve settled for the next-best thing: video reflection.  If you, too, are wishing for a way to observe more lessons next year, you might consider the power of video for those times when you wish you could be there but can’t. 

Video is a pretty good stand in for an observation. And I’ve found it offers effective opportunities for self-reflection. I ask teachers to record a lesson and then reflect by selecting excerpts to share with me.  Here are the things I ask teachers to consider and be ready to share before we meet to debrief:

*What was the main objective of the lesson?

*How did you measure the lesson’s objective? What were the results?

*What was an effective aspect of this lesson?  Why do you feel this aspect was effective. (I ask teachers to note the time stamp in the video recording when this occurred so that we can look at this 3-5 minute excerpt together.)

*What was a less effective aspect of this lesson? Explain why you feel this aspect was less effective. (I ask teachers to note the time stamp in the video recording when this occurred so that we can review this 3-5 minute excerpt together, too.)

One of the great things about asking teachers to select an effective segment is that it gives us opportunities for sharing and celebration.  Often we’ll share this excerpt with the team or at a faculty meeting.  Everyone benefits from seeing and hearing about a positive aspect of a lesson.

The excerpt that a teacher has selected as less effective, along with her explanation of why she feels it was less effective, provides opportunities for collaboration and coaching.  If the “why” has to do with things outside of the teacher’s control, I help her refocus on something that she can change.  Blame-shifting doesn’t improve instruction, but problem-solving does.

When we get together to debrief, I often also ask about any modifications the teacher made during instruction.  What decisions did she make on the fly, why did she make them, and what was the effect?

I might also ask what potential modifications could have been made to increase the lesson’s effectiveness.  We talk about why she feels these modifications might have been beneficial.

I usually end by asking how the teacher felt about recording and analyzing the lesson.  Teachers have said, “Seeing myself on video made me aware of student engagement and the kinds of questions I use during a lesson” and “It’s easy to analyze how things could have been done differently to have a better outcome.” Comments like these encourage me to continue using the video reflection protocol.

Video coaching can be a comfortable approach for teachers, since they are completely in control of what they want to share.  If they don’t like the way a lesson went, they can choose to record another.  So even just the process of recording can improve instruction.  And choice and control foster motivation, so the desire for participation in coaching might be enhanced.

Because coaches are usually serving many teachers, we can’t be in every classroom.  But video recordings can be a wish come true, giving us a glimpse into many lessons and opportunities for increased buy-in and effective coaching.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

The importance of teacher reflection:



Interesting video with Richard Blanco about teaching his poem about memory and longing:



A principal’s choices for read alouds that the whole school benefits from:



A short TED Talk on everyday leadership and lollipop moments (a great ice-breaker for back-to-school meetings):



Thinking about a meaningful assessment approach for next year? This video describes the senior portfolio defense:



That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!


No comments:

Post a Comment