Friday, April 21, 2017

Push and Lift

Have you ever had those moments where you just want a re-do on a conversation?  The ability to rewind, take back, and replay what just happened?  Thankfully, those moments tend to happen more in my personal situations than professional ones (my family’s pretty forgiving, and mostly they’re stuck with me!).  But, this week I had a “wish-I-could-take-that-back” moment with a student teacher.

Many of my coaching moments come from interactions with pre-service teachers.  Since I’m their university supervisor, these situations can be loaded, because they include evaluation (which we’re cautioned to avoid as coaches).  So that makes my conversations with them pretty high-stakes.  

Now, as I write this, it is April 21.  My student teachers are almost done with their year-long internship experience.  I expect them to be good.  I expect them to be ready.  I expect them to be proficient.  But sometimes, they’re not…..yet.  You might have similar expectations and disappointments with the teachers you’re working with – whether novice or experienced.  There are often things that aren’t going well that should be addressed.  And I’m out there every week on the internet giving advice about how to address such things, so I ought to know how to do it.  But my conversation with Bethany this week definitely needed a re-do. 

When I observed Sandi’s class this week and noticed the lesson falling flat, I felt the time had come to shake things up.  To basically say, Hey, we’ve only got a few weeks left. We’ve got work to do!  I had been patient, mentioning and working with Sandi on one thing at a time over the course of the year.  She is smart and a hard worker, but things just haven’t clicked.  The progress has been slow.  So this week, with less than a month left, I think my patience was running short.  I wanted to go in for the quick fix.  I wanted to somehow make things hurry up and happen that hadn’t happened gradually all year long.  Looking back, I think I came into the conversation with guns blazing!  I pointed out several things that seemed like evidence she wasn’t ready yet to take on her own classroom…problems with pacing, classroom management, and giving directions.  I gave specific examples and recommendations until I noticed tears beginning to well up in Sandi’s eyes.  Whoa – I put on the brakes, but too late.  The fact that there were many things to fix and time was short didn’t suddenly give Sandi more insight and ability.  Sometimes, a shake-up is needed and actually useful in these situations, giving a teacher a reality-check that change is needed.  But my conversation with Sandi didn’t do that.  Without a little coddling, she is unlikely to have the efficacy to change.  So I tried again the next day. I couldn’t really get a conversation re-do, but hopefully my follow-up did some relationship repair.  

This time, after observing, I began by pointing out the things that went well. This time, I offered possible recommendations and asked which she thought would work best.  This time, I hope I did not offend. 

As a coach, there’s always a balance between pushing and lifting.  The push comes through asking questions that require honest reflection and hard thinking. Pushing brings awareness and urgency about the need to change.  The lift comes through recommendations and praise.  Unfortunately, there’s no magic formula for how much of each to include to produce the desired results.  That equation is dependent upon context and personality.  I didn’t get it right with Sandi this week, but I’ll keep trying, adjusting the pushing-lifting ratio.  After all, coaching is a learning experience for the coach, too.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

The abacus and CCSS:



Lesson idea for poems about objects (National Poetry Month continues!):



“Poem in Your Pocket” day is April 27!  Get ready to celebrate with these ideas:



DIY place-value cups (I love these manipulatives!):



Avoid fake news by making sure it passes the CRAP test:


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!




No comments:

Post a Comment