Friday, December 16, 2016

Two Ways to Mirror

Coaching begins with understanding and being understood. One of the subtle ways we feel understood is when our thinking partner mirrors our body language. For example, this week, a frustrated teacher came to me with a problem. She was agitated, speaking quick and high, leaning forward. I responded in like – an urgency in my voice and a posture that matched her own. Even though she likely couldn’t have said why, this teacher felt understood.

But I realized that her agitated state didn’t lend itself to thoughtful consideration. So after initially mirroring her body language, I recognized the need for a shift, and I sat back in my chair. I rested my arms on the arm rests and slowed the cadence of my speech. My body language became a model for the teacher to mirror, and her agitation ebbed. Soon, we were ready for dialogue that led to potential solutions.

This situation demonstrates two examples of mirroring. When I mirrored the teacher’s emotions, she felt she had a partner in her problem-solving venture. When I provided a posture she could mirror, she calmed, and we were able to approach the situation from a more productive stance.

Although words are a coach’s primary tool, don’t underestimate the role that body language, pace, and tone play in the coaching scenario. Mirrors can work both ways.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

This video about building trust with students:



Candyland and class rules:



Listen to this podcast for ideas to teach students through play:



A Pinterest board with picture books for teaching punctuation:



Content-area literacy or disciplinary literacy – what’s the shift and how does it look across disciplines:


That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!



No comments:

Post a Comment