Friday, December 9, 2016

Beneath the Mask

A few years ago, I did coaching work in a district that had coaches in every building and a strict policy for their coaches: No coaching on classroom management. Although this seemed harsh, I suspect it helped coaches and teachers look beneath the mask and find out what may have been causing those concerns about behavior.

A coaching situation this week reminded me of this policy. I observed a lesson where the teacher, Amanda, was frequently asking for students’ attention and repeating herself when students couldn’t answer her questions. Just before our debrief conversation, I silently repeated this mantra: “This conversation will not be about classroom management; this conversation will not be about classroom management; this conversation will not be about classroom management!” I was afraid that the most obvious features of the lesson would distract our discussion from what was really going on.

I’d worked with Amanda before, and after chatting briefly about what she felt was successful in the lesson, I ventured a query: “What’s something you’d like to focus on in the coming weeks?” I braced myself and mentally prepared for a redirecting follow-up question so that our talk wouldn’t center around student behavior issues. But I was pleasantly surprised when Amanda replied, “I want to work on student engagement.”

Amanda had pushed herself to look beneath the mask of student misbehavior and figure out what was really happening. She brought up concerns about pacing and questioning, and we talked about differentiation and all-respond techniques. In the end, she decided to focus on making sure explanations of content and directions for activities were clear. She has a plan for modeling and providing shared practice.

I’m looking forward to my next chance to be in Amanda’s classroom. Because she was able to look beneath the mask of classroom management and create a plan for bringing more clarity to her teaching, I’m confident student engagement, and consequently student learning, will increase. Although student behaviors and misbehaviors may be staring you in the face, classroom management, most importantly, is about pedagogy.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

The writing notebook as a lifeline for writers:



Towards data-informed (not data-drive) instruction:



Students in countries with high math performance memorize less:



Tips for helping students pick a just-right book:



Why students can’t Google their way to the truth:




That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment