Friday, January 22, 2016

Carrying a Cat by the Tail

A couple of years ago, I had a coaching experience I’d rather not repeat. I was working with a student teacher at the time, but the lessons learned could apply to any coaching experience.

The intern (who I’ll call Amber) had been on my radar since early in the student-teaching experience. Scores on her evaluations were low, and it wasn’t hard to see why. Amber’s dead-pan deliver left students unengaged, which opened up all kinds of possibilities for classroom management issues. In addition, her instructional plans were driven by teacher monolog (or ping-ponged teacher-student drills) rather than discussion, and the low expectations that she seemed to have for student learning became self-fulfilling prophesies.

Despite assigning her the best mentor teachers as models and conferring regularly with specific recommendations for change, as the end of the student-teaching experience approached, I was worried about whether I’d be able to recommend Amber for licensure. It was time to enlarge her circle of support and try coaching methods that went above and beyond typical mentoring interactions.

We saw Amber turn the corner after video recordings of Amber and another teacher leading the same lesson were reviewed side-by-side. Questions directed Amber's attention to differences, both subtle and not-so-subtle, in teacher-student interactions. This comparison provided the wake-up call for Amber that helped us get traction for instructional improvement.

I’d rather not have had that experience, but having made it through (with eventual success!) taught me a thing or two. It was a learning experience I won’t soon forget.

Thank goodness. Because recalling that experience, I think, will help me make course corrections with other teachers earlier in the game.

Every teacher (and especially every student teacher) has areas for improvement. But when progress seems slow, it can feel frustrating, especially for the mentor or coach who has a front-row seat, and especially when the teacher herself seems unaware of the need to change.

That’s been the case recently with another student teacher (who I’ll call Marie).  Marie has been making minimal apparent growth so far. In addition to the coaching conversations we’ve both had with Marie, her mentor and I have had lots of problem-solving conversations with each other. Again, the modeling and recommending seemed to have little impact. Again, something more was needed.

Yesterday, we put our heads together and proposed and then dismissed a number of possibilities. Then my brain started connecting to past experiences. I thought about multiple teachers with whom I’d worked where progress, at first, seemed slow. But after examining the details of the situation, I threw out each example as useless.

Until I remembered Amber. Even though these two teachers were different in so many ways, they both had made little growth, despite our best coaching efforts. They both had seemed complacent about their teaching. And, importantly, they both had an apparent lack of enthusiasm that left students unengaged. When I finally made this connection, I realized I had a list of tried-and-true tools to choose from.

Because I remembered past successes with Amber, we now have a list of coaching strategies to try. Now, we have a game plan. And now, importantly, we are feeling hopeful for change!

It was hard working through the situation with Amber (and countless other teachers who have faced difficult challenges). But I learned a thing or two in the process. And when I finally made a connection between Amber and Marie, I knew we could move in the right direction.

Reflecting on the “ah-hah” moment for coaching Marie this week reminded me that solutions I’ve found in the past might work in the present. I just have to sift through those experiences and find a good match. It also reminded me that difficult situation are often the best teacher. Which brings us to Mark Twain’s vivid axiom: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Profocols for building community during professional development:


A New York Times article about reintroducing play as part of the kindergarten curriculum:



Classroom-safe video collections:




The power of “Empathy Book Clubs”:


Why we must teach math for understanding:



That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!



Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment