*******************************************************************************************************************
You can find My Coaches Couch, the podcast (with different content) in your favorite podcast app or at MyCoachesCouch.podbean.com.
*******************************************************************************************************************
Sometimes
the first answer feels like the right answer—until you ask “Why?” again. And
again. And maybe a couple more times. Our first explanation may only scratch
the surface.
When
teams are trying to make sense of assessment data and figure out why students
aren’t achieving as expected, stopping with the first plausible cause can lead
us toward solutions that miss the root cause.
As
a coach, you can help teachers resist the temptation to jump too quickly from
identifying a problem to deciding what to do about it. Instead, invite them to
get curious about what might be the cause.
Discussion
protocols give teams a way to keep digging, moving beyond the first answer that
comes to mind and toward potential instructional changes, interventions or other
solutions. Here are some questions to facilitate team data dives:
1. What is the problem? After
teachers have reviewed the data, give them the chance to think individually,
jotting down ideas about what the problem actually is. What does the data show?
Suggest that they be as clear and specific as they can. Then have teachers share
their thinking and come to consensus about what the problem is. But be careful
not to define the problem in terms of a solution! This is only step one.
2. What might be the major categories of
causes of the problem? (for example, materials, policy factors,
people/staff factors, etc.). Chart these together. Think big picture. These can
be headings across the top of chart
paper or a Google doc.
3. Brainstorm possible causes for each
category. Now we are getting to details, but this is still an
exploration phase. We’re just mapping possible causes.
4.
Narrow to a few most-plausible causes. With the team, quickly go through the list you’ve
created, narrowing from possible to plausible. Ask
for a thumbs up or down. Cross out the causes that don’t seem plausible. Circle
the ones that do. Discuss the ones where you’re not sure, and come to
consensus.
5. For each plausible cause, ask, “Why does
this happen?” Asking, “Why?”
can further narrow the list and move you from plausible to probable.
Now
it’s time for the 5 Whys Protocol.
Asking
“Why?” multiple times ensures deep causal thinking rather than surface-level
solutions that get too-easily tagged. It is fine-grained analysis.
The
5 Why’s Protocol starts with stating
a probable cause. Here’s a non-data example that shows the process: If I ask
someone why my friend didn’t
bring their lunch to work, they might answer, “I didn’t bring my lunch to work
because I left my house without it.” Asking,
“Why did you leave your house
without it?” reveals yet another layer to the problem: “I left my house without
it because I was running late.” “Why were
you running late?” you might ask. “Because I couldn’t find my keys!” might be
the response. “Why?” “Because I left them in the back door when I came
home last night.” “Why did you leave them in the back door?” ”Because I
was carrying a lot of stuff.”
Aha!
Now we have revealed that the root cause
of no lunch at work is because my friend was carrying a lot of stuff when she
came home! Without the 5 Whys protocol,
we would never have known! Of course, 5 is not a magic number. The point is, go
deep enough to get at real answers to the question. The final “Why” should lead
to a root-cause statement that helps the team take action.
Beginning-of-year
assessment data can feel overwhelming, but a structured protocol can help teams
slow down, give everyone a chance to contribute ideas, and dig beneath obvious
explanations. When teachers examine causes together and keep asking “Why?” they
can uncover better solutions for supporting students.
This
week, you might want to take a look at:
You can find My Coaches Couch, the podcast (with different content) in your favorite podcast app or at MyCoachesCouch.podbean.com.
This
simple animated video about how coaching works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY75MQte4RU
Supporting participation of quieter students:
https://www.edutopia.org/article/supporting-quiet-students-participation
This podcast about leading in the space you are given:
https://www.teachingchannel.com/blog/podcast-59
Picture books about worries and other emotions:
https://choiceliteracy.com/article/reassuring-worried-children-with-picture-books/
A Calendar of “National Days” (both serious and silly) to celebrate throughout the year:
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/calendar-at-a-glance/
That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!
Want more coaching tips? Check out my book, Differentiated Mentoring & Coaching in Education: From Preservice Teacher to Expert Practitioner, available from Teachers College Press! I’m so excited to share it with you! You can use the code: SEP2026 for 15% off. Click here and I’ll email you the free Book Group Study Guide that includes questions, prompts, and activities you can use as you share the book with colleagues. I hope you’ll love this book as much as I loved making it for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY75MQte4RU
Supporting participation of quieter students:
https://www.edutopia.org/article/supporting-quiet-students-participation
This podcast about leading in the space you are given:
https://www.teachingchannel.com/blog/podcast-59
Picture books about worries and other emotions:
https://choiceliteracy.com/article/reassuring-worried-children-with-picture-books/
A Calendar of “National Days” (both serious and silly) to celebrate throughout the year:
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/calendar-at-a-glance/
That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!
Want more coaching tips? Check out my book, Differentiated Mentoring & Coaching in Education: From Preservice Teacher to Expert Practitioner, available from Teachers College Press! I’m so excited to share it with you! You can use the code: SEP2026 for 15% off. Click here and I’ll email you the free Book Group Study Guide that includes questions, prompts, and activities you can use as you share the book with colleagues. I hope you’ll love this book as much as I loved making it for you!

No comments:
Post a Comment