Saturday, March 23, 2019

Say-Mean-Matter for Coaching


If you are ready to shift the focus of your coaching conversations from teaching to student learning, you might like the Say-Mean-Matter protocol, adapted for debrief conversations.

Success with this protocol begins with careful note-taking – or even audio recording – during observations. You’ll want to capture the actual words that were spoken during a lesson.  I usually script a lesson, writing as fast as I can, capturing both student and teacher comments.  Be sure you mark or note portions of the lesson plan so that you can tell what happened when. 

After you leave the classroom, take some time to review your notes, highlighting anything that seems important.  Then, choose a couple of quotes from the lesson that are attention-worthy.  For example, I recently observed a 9th-grade lesson on characterization.  Students were studying Romeo & Juliet and looking closely at what Romeo’s thoughts, speech, feelings, and actions revealed about his character.  They traced one of the students in the class on a large sheet of bulletin board paper, creating a life-sized Romeo. Then they cut Romeo into four sections – the top of the head for the “thinking” group, the mouth section for the “saying” group, the torso for the “feeling” group, and the legs for the “doing” group.

Each group was to find evidence from the text for their body part that revealed character traits.  Then they wrote the quotes on the body. Eventually, they reconstructed Romeo and discussed what these attributes revealed about his character – and how their own thoughts, words, feelings, and actions revealed things about their own characters – or their friend’s.  It was a hands-on lesson that students seemed to enjoy.  In fact, one of the student comments I jotted down was, “I swear, this is the most fun I’ve ever had in class!”  In fact, that was the line-lift I chose to begin the debrief conversation with Lisa, their teacher.

In my notebook, I’d constructed a three-column, Say-Mean-Matter chart.  When the teacher and I sat down to debrief the lesson, I quickly jotted down the above comment about fun. 

“What’s meaningful to you about that quote?” I asked the teacher. 

“The kids were really having a good time!” she said.  “I heard other kids saying the same thing.”  In the middle “Mean” column in my notebook, I quickly jotted, “Students enjoyed activity.” 

“Why does that matter?”  I asked.  “What’s our take-away?”

“I don’t usually include hands-on activities,” she replied.  “But this really worked.  I should do more hands-on stuff.”  In the “Matter” column, I jotted down, “More hands-on work.”

“That brings up an important question: It was fun, but did students learn?”

Lisa was sure they had. She said she felt students got a deeper understanding of how characters were constructed.  I pulled out another quote from my notes to add to the conversation.

I said, “I heard Jackson say, ‘He just wanted to act like a man,’ when they were talking about Romeo’s fight with Mercutio,” and I quickly added this to the “Say” column of the chart. 

Lisa jumped in, pointing to the “Mean” column.  “They recognized fighting could be viewed as a sign of manhood,” she said.

“And why do you think that matters?” I asked.

Lisa was quick with some important insights.  “It lead to personal connections,” she said, noting some comments she’d heard when listening in on group conversations.  “And,” she added, “I think they really began to see what Romeo’s actions were revealing about his character – and more generally, how actions reveal character traits.

This was cause for celebration!  “One of your lesson objectives!” I said, pointing to the copy of the lesson plan on the table.

During this Say-Mean-Matter exchange, we uncovered some important insights about student learning and implications for future lesson planning.  It was a fruitful conversation!

I usually use the Say-Mean-Matter protocol to focus on comments students made during the lesson, but it can also be effective when capturing the teacher’s role.  It is a great tool for drawing out positive insights. With care, it can also be used to focus on less-effective aspects of the lesson.  (I never do this during our first few times using the protocol, because I don’t want the sight of this three-column chart to have negative associations for the teacher).

Capturing the exact words spoken during a lesson has real power for promoting teacher learning that leads to improved instruction.  Although I’ve frequently used this protocol with students, I’ve been pleasantly surprised how well it works for teachers, too.  Try it and let me know what you think!


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Ideas for using sketchnoting:



Character trait word sort:



Are you a tech coach? Check this out:



Benefits of peer learning walks:



What are trauma-informed practices?


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!


No comments:

Post a Comment