Saturday, March 2, 2019

Lighten the Load: Don’t be crafty!


This week’s post is another in the teacher self-care series – recommendations you can share with teachers that make instruction less work and more impactful.  This one’s for any elementary teachers you know.

I’ve taught almost every grade K- 12, but my time in kindergarten was some of my favorite!  So much learning happens in a kindergarten classroom between August and June!  I think I kept a pretty tight focus on learning, but I confess that I had a favorite end-of-year project – the frog pop-up book. 




In May we came to the end of a very long unit about water, ending with water as habitat.  Thus the frog book.  I included every pop-up method I knew: there was a springy snake, a frog who opened and closed his mouth as you turned the page. It was an amazing book, really.  Except….

The paraprofessional and I spent hours cutting and folding, getting things ready for tiny hands to put together their masterpieces. And, altogether, the kids probably spent hours working on their books.  There were smiles and pride, to be sure, but probably some tears as well (I tend to erase negative memories, but I’m betting on it).  I knew the kids weren’t really learning anything during all this time, but I justified the project as a take-away memento that students would enjoy reading during the summer. I imagined them turning the pages of the pop-up book and remembering the more memorable learning we’d done as we studied water for months.  If I had it to do over again….I’d probably do the same thing!  We all loved those books!

But here’s the thing.  In some classrooms, a lot of teacher and student time is spent on crafts. And let’s be honest, other than honing some fine-motor skills, not much learning happens. So, if you know a teacher of young children who just loves cute paper-folding, pipe-cleaner, toilet-paper-roll projects, she might breathe a sigh of relief if you steer her toward arts instead of crafts in her classroom.

Crafts have a defined outcome. There’s a specific way the project is supposed to look, with a little wiggle-room. Art projects, on the other hand, are individualized and exploratory. The process is about trying things, manipulating, and creating.  Teachers set out materials, perhaps with some general theme or purpose in mind, and children decide what to do with them.

Keeping in mind the distinction between arts and crafts and leaning in the arts direction can lighten a teacher’s load and encourage children’s creativity. And if she occasionally decides to do a frog pop-up book, well, that’s okay, too!


This week, you might want to take a look at:

More about arts vs. crafts:



Podcasts for teacher well-being:



Books for having fun with words:



Encouraging response through The Standup Game:



Teaching is a creative profession. Here are 10 ways to boost creativity:



That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

1 comment: