Friday, March 2, 2018

Deconstructing Serial Conversations

There’s just not enough time in the day for all the conversations we’d like to have!  I ran into this problem as I worked with Meg this week.
 
Meg is an early-career teacher who is still struggling with classroom management.  Although she has adopted some effective approaches and worked to increase the engagement factor in her lessons, some students are hanging on to their old, disruptive habits.  I was able to stop by her class this week, but there wasn’t a chance for us to get together and talk about it. Still, I wanted to share some ideas with her before the context grew cold.  So I decided to email.
 
Email can be both boon and bane when coaching.  The ease of access and ability to communicate asynchronously are big bonuses.  But these serial conversations don’t give us the opportunity to read the body language of the receiver, and the teacher may not get a clear idea of our intent and tone without the face-to-face. Still, from time to time it seems like the best choice.
 
When constructing my part of an email coaching conversation, I have the advantage of really thinking through my words and the response they may elicit.  That is a benefit that can carry a lot of weight!  So I compose slowly and thoughtfully, then reread from the recipient’s perspective before pressing “send.”
 
Below is the email I sent to Meg after stopping by.  I’ve annotated it so you can see what I was thinking as I put my words together.  (Click on the image to see it bigger.)
 

 
Thankfully, the email was well-received. Meg replied, “Yes, that does make sense. Less discussion on the front end is a good idea. I will be sure to do that this week. Thanks for the feedback!
 
Meg and I had a chance the next day to sit down together and discuss Meg’s concerns. We named a problem that was occurring:  Lessons were getting waylaid as she dealt with individual student’s needs. Meg set a goal to handle these more effectively.  I felt like this was an appropriate goal, and I promised to check back.
 
Today, while I was popping into classrooms, I saw an expert teacher manage these same, potentially-disruptive issues seamlessly. I noticed what she was doing and sent Meg this email:
 



Notice that I didn’t say, “Hey, I saw a teacher who does this way better than you do,” but I did plant the seed for a different way for Meg to approach disruptions.  We’ll see if it takes root!
 
Because I’m a bit of a word nerd, I like thinking about the impact the words I choose will have.  Words are filed with connotations, and these connotations make a difference in the way our ideas our received.  Especially in emails and other forms of serial communication, it pays to handle words with care.
 
 
This week, you might want to take a look at:
 
Ideas for cooperative learning (from Jim Knight):
 
 
 
Mentor texts for essay writing:
 
 
 
Austin’s butterfly, peer feedback, and revision (with Rick Wormeli) :
 
 
 
What is number sense and why is it important:
 
 
 
Lessons for social-emotional learning:
 
 
 
That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment