Friday, March 13, 2015

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah

Today, the student teachers I’ve been working with said goodbye to the little ones they’ve spent every weekday with for the past 19 weeks. They also said goodbye to the wonderful mentors who have supported them throughout the process.

I talked with the mentors about this final phase of letting go and what it was they did to wrap up the time together with their interns:

“I would just give her praise,” Andrea said. “I did that a lot in the end with her.”

I feel like everybody needs praising,” said Abby. “And she has a lot of things to praise her for.” She elaborated: “I’m a very firm believer in finding the positive. I try to with my kids, and it was very easy to find things to praise her for.”

“It’s confidence building,” said Sandi. She then remembered an anecdote from a recent interaction with her intern. “What did she say to me one day?  Something like, ‘I can really do this!’  I said, ‘Cindy, why would you doubt that? You can do this!’  She feels, I think, that we've given her enough praise and confidence in here that she feels, ‘I can do kindergarten.’”

Whether it’s the end of a student-teaching placement or the end of a coaching cycle, affirming and praising are part of what effective coaches do. “Really?” you may be asking yourself. “I thought coaches weren’t supposed to praise.” Well, ladies and gentlemen, the findings of my research about whether praise is included in effective coaching are expressed in the words of a song: “It’s the truth! It’s natural! Everything is satisfactual!” When teachers are doing satisfactual things, it’s a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah day, and praise is called for!


This week, you might want to take a look at:

In honor of Leonard Nimoy (Spock), here’s an NPR Podcast explaining the teenage brain: Captain Kirk vs. Spock:



Weird books to draw in reluctant readers:



World explorers: Learning through drama



Download this Spotlight on Professional Development and the Common Core:



Reasoning about division and multiplication:



That’s it for this week. Happy coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment