Friday, March 20, 2015

Weddings, Colors, and Coaching

Today’s coaching conversation was about wedding dresses, reception venues and color choices. That may not sound like a coaching conversation to you, but it got me farther than most of the previous discussions I’ve had with Abby.

Last night, I was thinking about each of the teachers I’m currently working with. Allison – check. Alyssa – check. Cammi – well, I think our trajectory has improved recently. Julie – ready to fly! Kelly – so much growth in recent weeks! Abby – wait. I paused in my mental check list. Abby’s instruction didn’t really seem to be changing in the ways we had talked about. Why?

As I walked into school this morning, I realized that the most important thing I could do today was make a personal connection with Abby. I thought about the time months ago when we had exchanged high-fives after an awesome lesson. Things had somehow derailed since then; I didn’t feel like we were really connecting. Recommendations seemed to be bouncing off, and asking questions wasn’t getting the ball rolling, either. I had a sneaking suspicion that a more personal approach was needed.

I headed down the blue hall thinking about Abby. Her room is at the far end, so I got caught up in other conversations before I got there. But there was still plenty of time before students arrived when I walked into Abby’s room. While catching up on yesterday’s lessons, Abby’s engagement ring caught my eye. “I know you got engaged over the holidays, but I don’t even know when you’re getting married,” I said. “When’s the special day?” That launched a conversation that included details of her winter-blue decorating theme, the perfect chapel she’ll be married in, and their search for a reasonably-priced location for the wedding party that will follow. Abby even pulled out her phone and showed me pictures of her in her gorgeous princess dress.

What did that five minute conversation have to do with coaching? Not much. But judging by her engaged smile and the warmth of her tone, I’m guessing that the next time we talk about instruction, those ideas will also be warmly received.

Sometimes sequins and beading are the stuff coaching is made of.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

This video about using questions to develop understanding:


Teaching young children self-regulation and other executive function skills pays off with improved academic performance:



Math lessons on proportions:



A multimodal autobiography project lesson plan (grades 9-12):



Now here’s a great idea: Give politicians and business leaders first-hand experience of education:




That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment