Friday, January 4, 2013

Under Construction

Our home is under construction, and I am learning lots of new skills in the process!  When we moved to Arkansas, we bought a fixer-up – great view, wonderful floor plan, and lots of updating needed.  This month I learned about grout as we redid the tile in our kitchen.  After watching my husband clean and seal the muck between the tiles, I took tools in hand and successfully completed the task.  Watching a more experience “grouter” was all I needed to build my confidence in doing something I had never tried before. 

As in grouting, so in coaching.  For many teachers, modeling hits the spot, helping teachers feel secure about using new practices.  Modeling is the most  supportive scaffold in the GIR model.  In this post I’ll focus on the most typical type of modeling - modeling that occurs during a lesson.  Future posts will discuss other ways that modeling can be provided.

When teachers are learning new instructional practices, they may request that a coach model these practices.  For example, a teacher concerned about implementing close reading in her classroom asked her coach to model.  Modeling in the classroom allowed the teacher to see a close reading activity in action with her own students.  This authentic situation illustrated the nuances of  close reading, allowing the teacher the freedom to consider both teacher and student responses in a way that would have been difficult had she been in the driver’s seat.

When a coach models in the classroom, the teacher sees both the competence of the coach and her willingness to take a risk and learn and think alongside the teacher.  Don’t feel like your lesson has to be perfect; we all learn as we go by reflecting on successes and less-successful aspects of the lesson. 

When I think about my experiences with modeling, my mind returns to the time last year that I modeled a lesson in my daughter’s classroom.  She was a first-year second-grade teacher, feeling less than confident about her abilities.  In September, as the school year was just getting underway, I got a tearful, frustrated phone call during her recess break.  We decided having me model a lesson might be helpful, so I put on my super-cape and drove 700 miles to visit her classroom.  Mom to the rescue!  I felt pretty good about the vocabulary lesson I taught, especially considering that it was early in the school year and she had several special needs students in her classroom.

Recess was right after my modeled lesson, and my daughter had recess duty, so we walked together out to the playground.  My daughter broke the silence with a quizzical look and asked, “Mom, you won awards for your teaching, right?”  From the tenor of her voice, I knew the implications behind her question:  You won awards, but your teaching’s not perfect; the students weren’t perfect; maybe I don’t have to be perfect!”  Modeling gave my daughter new strategies to try, but more importantly, it let her know that perfection is not required or possible!  She set more realistic expectations for herself and her students and everybody learned more.

Thinking back on our home tiling project, I recognize now that the fact that my husband did not painstakingly level and groom each crack probably allowed me to take on the grouting task without undue angst.  Whether tiling or teaching, having a model to observe can make all the difference!


Resources to explore:

Close Reading:  Speaking of close reading, check out this discussion by Common Core author David Coleman:

http://vimeo.com/27056255


Goals:  The start of a new year is a great time for coaches, teachers, and students to think about goals.  Use quotes from this link (quotegarden.com/goals.html) and the protocol below* to get everyone talking about setting purposeful targets for their work.

*Quotes protocol preparation:  Facilitator finds lots of quotes about the topic under consideration (in this case, goals).  Quotes are printed and clipped with one quote per slip of paper.  Quotes are placed in the middle of each table.

  Quotes protocol procedure: 

1.      Grab a quote, read it over, and mull it over.

2.      Find a partner and share your quote and thinking.

3.      Trade quotes and find a new partner and repeat.

Followers:  For a good laugh and a good lesson about leadership, check out this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=hO8MwBZl-Vc

Then think about how you are cultivating followers.


That’s it for now.  Happy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment