Saturday, August 21, 2021

Walk Softly

This week, a new instructional coach asked me, “What does it look like when Vicki Collet walks into a classroom?”
 
I knew my friend was asking about my coaching presence, the stance that I take toward teachers and my work. Do I walk into a room with an air of authority, making sure my presence is known to all? Do I feel satisfied when heads turn my way? Do I expect a performance, for everyone to be on their best behavior and doing their best work?
 
When I responded to my friend, the first thing I said was, “On days when I know I’m going to be spending a lot of time in classrooms, I wear soft shoes.” I don’t need my steps to announce my presence. I quietly enter a room, not because I’m being sneaky, but because I’m being respectful. I don’t want to disrupt the important wok that is underway.
 
After gliding in the door, I lean against the counter or wall, out of the way. If it will be a longer stay, I quietly find a seat. If it’s a short visit, I stand or lean for a minute while taking in the room’s activity. If the teacher is talking to the whole group, giving information or instructions, I stay still. I don’t want to distract from that!  If students are working, if the teacher is moving from group to group or student to student, I move in closer to see and hear.
 
If I approach a group or a duo in dialogue, I avoid eye contact. Eye contact encourages them to talk to me instead, often backtracking their conversation and changing the pattern of talk. I want to hear the real deal.
 
Sometimes, especially when students are working independently, I take a more active role as an observer, whispering a request to a student to explain their work or their thinking. I learn by listening to their response.
 
This time of year, I am creating connections and building relationships. I make quick rounds through the building, stepping into as many classrooms as possible in my soft shoes. I stay just long enough to catch something remarkable going on. Then I step into the hall and send myself a quick message about it so that I can follow up later with an email to the teacher affirming their practice. By starting with the positive, I am building trust.
 
There was a time in the past when I felt the need to establish my authority early on. I made sure my credentials were known. I was quick to offer my expertise. But I found that approach didn’t really work in my favor. Better to be approachable, establish trust, and let my actions, rather than my self-proclaimed words, build teachers’ confidence in me and my role.
 
Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the United States, is famously quoted as saying, “Walk softly and carry a big stick.” While the first part of this sentiment is applicable for instructional coaches, the last part is not. Instead, we should couple soft walking with empathy, encouragement, sustaining, and support. As we walk softly and demonstrate confidence in teachers’ own abilities, they will return that confidence and partner with us in the work of instructional improvement.

This week, you might want to take a look at:
 
This podcast about attributes of a positive school culture:
 
https://www.bamradionetwork.com/track/what-are-the-attributes-of-a-positive-school-culture/
 
 
5 key roles of an instructional coach:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtlVavxZBrk
 
 
Growing writing stamina:
 
https://choiceliteracy.com/article/growing-writing-stamina/
 
Clarifying your coaching role:
 
https://blog.teachboost.com/use-a-coaching-brochure-to-showcase-everything-you-do
 
Creating a coaching menu:
 
https://blog.teachboost.com/coaching-is-served-3-easy-steps-to-create-a-coaching-menu

That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!
 
Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Follow on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch or Twitter @vscollet for more coaching and teaching tips!  You can also find me at VickiCollet.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment