Friday, May 8, 2020

Make Joyful Space

As weeks of working from home wear on, it may be helpful to think of ways to make your workspace more joyful.  When your space brings peace, cheer, and a smile, you can bring needed optimism to coaching interactions. 

Start with your desktop

Your screen is now your home office.  Take a moment to redecorate!  As the home design experts suggest, start by decluttering.  Look at every icon.  If it’s not an app you frequently use, remove it from your desktop. You’ll still have access to the program. Now organize the icons for ease of use (I like most-frequently used in the lower left, with favorites pinned to the taskbar along the bottom).
Filing documents you don’t need ready access to will further clear the slate. 

Now that you can see what your background is, do you like it?  Does it inspire you?  Same with your lock screen image.  It’s the first thing you see when you pick up your laptop, so it sets the tone.  The image for this blog post is my lock screen – a photo of my granddaughter getting the job done, and the photo makes me smile and gets me ready to work, too! 

Now that you’ve decluttered and got a nice backdrop, you can intentionally add to your space.  Are there bits of inspiration you want easy access to?  I’ve got a PDF of some colorful art that inspires me.  When I need a creativity boost, it’s one easy click away.  You might do the same with music you like to work to.

Maybe all this won’t dramatically increase your joy quotient, but for me, removing clutter and creating organization is brain-freeing, and some inspirational touches make me more productive.

Think about the view

Optometrists say it’s a good idea to look away from your screen regularly.  This vision-friendly reminder can also be good for your mental outlook.  What do you see when you lift your eyes from the screen?  Do you have certain chairs you go to at different times of the day or for different tasks?  This morning, I had a meeting with a colleague who had created a workspace in his garage, complete with an honest-to-goodness green screen.  Spring breezes refreshed him and there was the occasional hum of a neighbor’s car going by.  When I need inspiration from hummingbirds and bird song, I move to the deck behind my house, and when I’m inside, I like a clear view to the window.  Nature views improve attention and decrease stress.  Plants, landscape prints, and even fabric patterns can liven up your inside view.

I may be more OCD than you are, but the “clear the clutter” principle is also important for the space around me as I work.  (Sometimes this just means moving the piles!).  Being at home, unfolded laundry or undone dishes can be a distraction, so I ban them from my view by choosing a chair away from them. 

Of course, another view we’re thinking about these days is the view our colleagues will see behind us.  Choosing a cheerful (but not-too-distracting) background screen is an option in some meeting platforms.  For long meetings, changing up that background can reenergize. I f you’re not using an artificial background, take a look at what’s behind you before starting an online conversation.

Comfort quotient

What’s your comfort quotient for working at home?  I’ve spent a lot of time in slippers, and there are still some chilly days when I have a blanket thrown across my legs. But that has to be balanced (especially in the late afternoon!), with enough movement so that I don’t slip into a comfortable daze or snooze.  Think about what brings comfort to your day. Something soft to touch? Your dog at your feet?  I think we should be pampering ourselves a bit right now, taking care so that we can bring our best selves to our interactions with teachers. 

Elements of joy

I recently read the book, Joyful, by Ingrid Lee, an interior designer.  She talks about how elements of energy, abundance, freedom, and harmony bring joy.  Surround yourself with light and color that add energy.  Ingrid suggests that non-uniform light is more joyful and that most people feel energized by bright colors.  How do light and color work for you?

A feeling of abundance also creates joy. You might tap into this attribute with colorful patterns or art with exuberant movement or lots and lots and lots of something.  I found a favorite scarf and draped it across a chair in my line of sight.  Seeing something lavish can add verve!  Bubbles, circles, and symmetry create joy and harmony and can bring order to our thinking.

As the weeks of working from home have rolled on, the view from my window has changed from bare branches to a spring-green backdrop.  I’ve been more aware of the treasures in my own backyard and thought, “Why haven’t I always done this!” On Facebook I see photos of friends’ reorganized closets and revived backyards.  Maybe these gestures have created joy and contributed to positive interactions.  Maybe they weren’t escapes from work, but ways to make it more productive. 

Whether work continues from home or moves back to classrooms and school offices, creating joyful spaces can energize our coaching work.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Phone calls connect teachers and students during closures:



Tips for surviving remote learning:




Interesting comparison between reading music and reading other texts (with relevant takeaways for developing inner voice):


Fixes for loneliness as a coach:



And because you can never have enough Joy, here’s Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy,” by the Colorado Symphony:


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Follow on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch or Twitter @vscollet for more coaching and teaching tips!


Looking for my book?  Use code MAYA2020 during checkout to receive 15% off plus free shipping of Collaborative Lesson Study, from tcpress.com.


1 comment: