Friday, June 1, 2018

Badge of Busy-ness


Last fall, one of the teachers I was working with got my attention when she said, “I know you’re really busy, but….” and then continued with a request for support.  This teacher may have simply been softening her own appeal, but it really gave me pause.  Was I sending the vibe that I was so busy that I couldn’t help others?  Since that was actually the most important thing in my job description, I wanted to make sure teachers felt I was available and accessible.

Since then, I have examined what I unknowingly do to send the signal I’m too busy.  I know I walk really fast through the building, getting to the next stop on my agenda.  My muscles feel tight, and I am thinking about how to make the most efficient use of my time. I know I get intently focused when I’m at my computer working on a project.  I’ve even caught myself scowling at the screen because I am so absorbed in my work.  I occasionally complain about how much there is to do or comment about how many projects I have going on.  These are the things I’ve caught myself doing that may unintentionally send the signal, “I’ve got more important things to do than talk to you.”  I realized I was wearing my busy-ness like a badge.  I think subconsciously we sometimes imply that we must be important because we have so much on our to-do list.

I have a friend who is one of the busiest people I know.  She homeschools her three kids, bought a small farm so the kids (and she) would have animals to care for and other responsibilities.  She has a job that, although flexible, takes a lot of time.  Yet, she never gives the impression that she’s busy.  She makes time for a conversation. She sits back in her chair when she talks. She stops to chat when I pass her.  She is the first to assist when there’s someone in need.  People confide in her and often ask her for help.  And she gives it.

I’ve thought a lot about this friend and the ambiance she exudes.  If I want to be perceived as available for coaching work, I need to be more like my friend.  I need to be ready for an informal chat.  I need to stop hurrying and start listening.  I need to look and feel more relaxed so that others will find me open.

Since my teacher friend got my attention last fall with her tempered request for help, I have intentionally worked on having a more approachable stance.   Instead of a badge of busy-ness, I want to exude an aura of availability.  With a little more yoga and a little less on my to-do list, I might just pull it off next year!


This week, you might want to take a look at:

As a coach, it helps to be likeable.  J  Here are 13 habits of likeable people:



Teaching and measuring social-emotional learning:



Are graphic novels real reading?



Regie Routman describes how to build the trust students need to learn:



A 10-minute podcast on engaging teenage learners:


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment