Friday, February 3, 2017

Coaching: How Transparent?

Today I had the chance to share the GIR model with a group made up mostly of instructional coaches. Afterward, the one teacher in the crowd came forward with her story. “I came from a school where coaching was a really negative thing,” she said. “But now I’m at a school where coaching is positive.” She continued, “I feel like I could buy into it more if I understood more about coaching.” Her comment got me thinking: How transparent are we about our coaching? How transparent should we be?

Honesty is the best policy, of course. That old adage holds true. I thought about how I’ve often shared my GIR conferencing form (see below) with the teachers I’m working with. I thought about how we have sometimes co-planned our work using Sweeney’s Results-Based Coaching Tool. Teachers have responded positively to being in-the-know about our goals and the process for our work together. But I couldn’t help but think of other times when I’ve been less transparent.

I thought about my work facilitating professional learning for teachers in Haiti. One of my colleagues had the idea of having teachers chart a list of challenges they were facing related to student learning, and then having them brainstorm solutions. She tried it and complained that it didn’t work well. The problems they wrote down weren’t vexing enough and the group conversation was unengaging. I asked her whether they knew they were going to be the ones solving the problems. “Yes,” she said. “I want them to recognize that they can solve their own problems. I suggested that we try it differently with the next group of teachers. “Don’t tell them in advance that they will be the ones coming up with the solutions,” I suggested. When we asked these teachers to list their challenges, each group charted serious concerns. “Now,” I said, “come up with two or three possible solutions for each problem.” Their eyes widened. “You want us to come up with these solutions?” they asked. “Yes! You are the ones best suited to solve these problems. You know your kids, you know your contexts, and you know your resources.” It was challenging work, but they put their minds to it. Almost every group came up with solutions they felt were viable. Later, a teacher told me about the shift that happened for him during that exercise, when he felt empowered to solve the difficult problems before him. Not letting on at the beginning that they were going to be the ones solving the problems led to serious questions and serious solutions.

Another time, I was working with a group of teachers in a very high-pressure context. Their test scores were low and they were getting new mandates and requirements every time they turned around. As I began to work with them, I felt the Lesson Study structure might be a useful approach. But coming in with a template and telling these teachers the step-by-step process we were going to take to improve student achievement would not have gone over well. Instead, I listened, listened, listened, and then, when the time seemed right, tested the waters to see how they felt about step one of the process. Later, it seemed like step two would work, so I asked them about it. We proceeded this way through the Lesson Study process, and our work felt like it was growing organically from the needs we were seeing. Although we ended up following the Lesson Study procedures pretty nearly as outlined in the book, taking a more casual approach to introducing these ideas worked better in this context.

Thinking about the teacher in my session today, I wonder how much transparency she would want, and how she would respond to it.  How transparent should we be about our coaching?  Take a moment to think about the coaching climate in your school. Would more transparency make coaching more effective? With whom? When? Why? Answers to these questions will vary with the work you are taking up.  As is the case with almost everything in education, “It depends.” As is the case with almost everything in education, context matters. It matters a great deal.




This week, you might want to take a look at:

An interesting perspective: Aren’t we all ELLs?



Creating digital citizens:



“Making” poetry before writing it:



Are parent teacher conferences coming up? A video for students (and teachers!) about what to say in a conference:



Seeing the world through a child’s eyes. This website has videos, simulations, and information that help you get the picture of what it’s like for children who struggle (personalizable by age and area of need):


That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!


Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment