Friday, November 11, 2016

Letting Go of Pride

“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less.”

~C.S. Lewis

What does humility have to do with coaching? To move forward in a coaching cycle, I have to shift the focus from me and what I know to the teacher and what she knows. It’s not hard to make a recommendation when a teacher asks for support. It’s much harder to hold my tongue and instead of sharing my wisdom, ask a question that allows a teacher to share hers. She doesn’t need to know how smart I am; she needs to know how smart she is. My questions can help her realize that she really does have the answers.

If I ask, “What else have you been considering?” my question affirms the teacher as one who thoughtfully deliberates her decisions.

If I ask, “What did you notice about students’ thinking?” my question recognizes her thoughtful observations.

Questions like these that hold positive assumptions of teachers’ actions and abilities build teachers’ confidence and encourage ongoing use of the attributes that have been noted.

I’m always humbled when a teacher extends or accepts an invitation for us to work together. It takes courage to open your practice and your thinking to a colleague. When a teacher is courageous enough to speak openly of her concerns and questions, I tread lightly on that space. Posing questions acknowledges the teacher’s willingness to inspect her practice. When my questions are answered with thoughtful noticings and ponderings, my role is to be a sounding board and a supporter. These are signals that we are successfully moving through the GIR cycle, with an increase in teacher responsibility and independence.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

A colorful way to reinforce word knowledge - vocabulary paint chips:



Why online communities boost our teaching confidence:



This handy checklist for proofreading your students’ writing – or your own:



The importance of non-academic, social-emotional learning:


Teaching students to self-monitor their behavior:


That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!


Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment