Friday, October 30, 2015

Reading More than Words: Nonverbal Cues

A coach’s success depends on more than content knowledge and pedagogical experience. Reading and responding to the nonverbal cues in a coaching interaction can have a big influence on its impact.

The body is an abundant source of information. As a coach, I am more successful when I am tuned in to this information. Today, when I walked up to a teacher, I was ready to have a conversation about instruction. But in the first split-second when I looked at him, I knew something was off. The teacher’s eyes were wide, he was standing stick-straight, and he somehow seemed agitated. He was just not his normal, laid-back kind of self.

Without pausing to think, I asked, “What’s up?” Not in the “Hi, how are you?” kind-of-way, but with an “I’m really wondering” tone in my voice. His keyed-up body language made me think something out of the ordinary might be happening.

I was right!

Brent told me he’d just gotten a text from his friend, and he was going over after school to hand-craft the engagement ring he planned to propose with! In a sentence or two, Brent shared the cause of his agitated state. My response mirrored his enthusiasm, and he felt understood. That exchange laid the foundation for an equally brief but effective conversation about instruction, with ideas being shared and Brent walking away with a new approach to try.

What if I hadn’t picked up on Brent’s intensity? If I’d launched right into a conversation about teaching, I think Brent’s mind would have been elsewhere, and our discussion wouldn’t have amounted to much. It reminded me how important it is to read more than words.

During a conversation, I can listen for:
*Intonation
*Volume
*Pacing
*Language choices

And in addition to listening, I can watch:
*Gestures
 *Posture
*Facial expressions

Interestingly, psychologists have found that mirroring these nonverbal cues creates connections and builds rapport. By matching the gestures, postures, or voice qualities of my dialogue partner, I create connectedness. This mirroring tells the teacher that I know exactly what he is talking about! When nonverbal synchrony is part of a dialogue, the listener feels understood.

If you want to see the impact of this approach, you’ll have to be intentional about it at first. But, with practice, you’ll come to naturally mirror nonverbal cues. Being a blatant copy-cat feels unnatural, but subtly adjusting your own response is a way to be respectful of another’s mindset.

In addition to mirroring, coaches’ own nonverbal behaviors can convey empathy and trustworthiness. Leaning forward and making direct eye contact create engagement and confidence.

A large portion of the meaning in any social situation is carried by nonverbal cues. Reading and using these cues can create a climate for coaching.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

This video example of a coach making a well-received recommendation:



A nice reminder about keeping our busy lives in balance:



Using attributes to teach viewpoints (in Social Studies and across other academic areas):



Top 20 tips for using Pinterest (in the classroom!):



Adding “fun” to lesson plans:



That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!


Like on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment