Friday, August 14, 2015

Lessons from Haiti

I spent this week on an educator exchange in Port-au-Prince Haiti, and what I learned likely outweighed what I taught.

I learned that an asset-based approach is necessary for progress. Starting the new school year by considering what we have, rather than what we have not, is more likely to result in positive change.

I learn that saying less is better than lengthy monologue. This realization was emphasized as I worked through a translator and thought about the most clear and concise way to share a message – a method that I realize I should broadly apply.

I learned to listen with eyes wide-open. Language barriers encouraged me to listen with my eyes and tune in to all of the information being offered, not just the specific words that were spoken.

As I listened to the harmonious voices of my new Haitian friends lift together in song, I learned that expressing gratitude leads the heart forward.

I hope that tomorrow, when I fly away from Haiti, these understandings will go with me and guide me as I launch another new school year. For you, I hope they will do the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week, you might want to take a look at:

Praising the positive with students:


10 Ways to sabotage your classroom management (with positive alternatives!):



An anchor chart example for plot and setting:



Using photos to inspire writing:



Coaching as hands-on PD:




That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment