Saturday, October 5, 2013

Who's in the Center

A few years ago, I was working as a district literacy coordinator when the time came to buy new materials.  Before we could begin to know what we wanted, it was important for us to define our instructional philosophy.  That way, materials would match the way we wanted to teach.  I love all of the philosophy statements we created together; they speak to who I am as a teacher.  The one at the top of the list that we all easily agreed upon was, “The learner must be at the center of literacy instruction.”  Like the hub of a wheel, the center point determines the action.  If the child is at the center (rather than the test, the teacher, the Unit Plan, etc.), then instruction will look different.  Similarly, if the child is at the center of our coaching, our coaching will look different.

This important idea was brought home to me yesterday as I worked with a group of wonderful coaches. We had watched a video clip of a coach who was making recommendations to a middle-school math teacher.  Here’s a snippet of their conversation:
           
Coach:  Something else I want you to think about, too, is your questions.  Try purposely not to make them convergent.  When I come next time, I want to see evidence of them thinking in alternate ways.  I want you to, between now and then, start to ask questions that are divergent questions.  They follow more of Bloom’s higher-order thinking questions.  I want to see the atmosphere shift of, okay, I’m asking a question.  Can you get the answer?  The answer’s black. Now are you going to say black? to: Oh, good, you’re thinking.  You’ve thought of something I didn’t think of.  I’d like you to feel comfortable with them telling you something you’re not prepared to hear.  I also want to see some sort of engagement, whether it’s, whatever you can feel comfortable with.  Whether it’s groups, games, competition, group think.  I want to see something where they feel more responsible as a group, not as an individual, to apply their time to that task.  And care about the task.  And then the last thing I want to see is I want to make sure they have a feeling, and if you choose the questions carefully, that they understand there’s a reason to do this.  Why do I care?  You don’t want to be the sage on the stage.

           Teacher:  Right.

Coach:  You want to be that guide on the side.  So you want to be in there asking questions.  You want to be a magician that’s not going to tell them the answer, but you’re going to ask questions.  And I say to teachers: When you’re about to tell, because time is clicking, you’re frustrated, change your telling into a question. 

Teacher:  Yah, I’m going to sit back and reflect on these and start building these into my lessons.  You know, piece by piece.*

When I showed this clip to the coaches during our professional development, they were aghast.  That coach must have been an outside consultant, they said.  We would never talk to our teachers like that, they said.  One coach hit the nail on the head:  If she had just phrased her recommendations in terms of what students needed, rather than what she wanted to see, the coach could have made the same recommendations, but it would have worked much better.

How much more palatable do these recommendations seem (and how much more likely to be implemented)?

·       Get your students thinking in alternate way by asking those higher-order thinking questions from Bloom’s taxonomy.   Get them to tell you something you’re not prepared to hear!
 
·         Give your students responsibility as a group.  Whatever you’re comfortable with - whether it’s groups, games, competition, group think.  Something where they feel responsible as a group, not as an individual, to apply their time to that task.

Plus, it wouldn’t hurt to give the teacher time to say more than a word or two in response!  Putting students in the center of our coaching makes our efforts more effective, because our attention is where it should be:  On the students who are (directly or indirectly) in our charge.

 
This week, you might want to take a look at:

The video clip from which the excerpt above was taken:


Lesson plans using one of my favorite instructional tools:  sticky notes!

 

Lesson plan for sparking rich online discussions:



A podcast suggestion tech tools for young learners:



Recommendations about user-friendly, free apps for classroom use:

 

That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment