Friday, September 10, 2021

Listen First

Yesterday, I was strongly reminded of the value of listening first in a coaching situation.
 
In last week’s post, I described the disrupted experience my student-teaching interns have had during their COVID teacher-preparation experience – cancelled practicums meant these interns stepped into student teaching with almost no experience in the classroom. Coupled with that, the majority of them are in kindergarten classrooms, and their mentors reminded me that many of these kids were still three years old when COVID began. They’ve spent much of their young lives socially distanced, and this seems to be reflected in their classroom interactions. I reminded myself to be aware of these issues as I started the first round of interns’ formal evaluations.
 
My experience in Leslie’s classroom seemed to confirm my fears. Students were complaining about each other, telling on their peers, needing frequent reminders to participate, Many students disregarded Leslie’s requests. Kids pulled them arms inside their shirts and flapped the sleeves around, and several were laying down on the carpet where the group was seated, During the short lesson, Leslie had students move from the carpet to their desks several times, in what appeared to be an attempt to keep them engaged – but it backfired as students became more distracted from the content. Admirably, Leslie’s voice was firm and calm throughout, but most of her talk was directed toward student behavior rather that teaching content.
 
I had observed this lesson at 11:30, and after school I was driving back to meet with Leslie so that we could discuss the lesson. As I drove, I reminded myself of all the things that were working against Leslie. I knew I should acknowledge these. I wanted to make sure the feedback felt manageable. I decided on just one recommendation I could make that would have the most impact (“Increase the proportion of instructional talk to management talk”). Thankfully, I also reminded myself to listen first.
 
As Leslie and I walked together into a room where we could have a conversation, I asked, “How was the day?” The floodgates opened, and Leslie told me about a situation that had unfolded due to one student in the class who consistently exhibited challenging behaviors. To protect privacy, I won’t go into details, but it was clear that the other children in the class felt unsafe until the child was removed from the classroom, and the situation was traumatic for the student teacher and mentor as well.
 
After the child with challenging behaviors was gone, the mentor and intern had a conversation with the rest of the class about what had happened, trying to restore calm. It was time for recess then, so they went outside.
 
“When did all this happen?” I asked, as Leslie’s description of the situation came to a close.
 
“Right before you observed,” Leslie said. They were just coming in from recess as I joined the class.
 
When I had observed that morning, I had no knowledge of what had recently transpired. As I reflected on the observation, I hadn’t known about the incident that had so impacted students. Now, I recognized that what I had seen had likely been more of a reflection of the morning’s events than the intern’s teaching skill. I backpedaled on my planned recommendation and instead empathized. Leslie talked about how thrown off she had been by the morning’s events, and how atypical her students’ behavior was during the lesson I had observed.
 
Although I’d been in her room for a few minutes previously, I didn’t really have a sense of the typical classroom climate, so I asked.  Leslie told me about routines that were beginning to be established, and she described some hopes for the future. It was a very different conversation than I had anticipated. I can’t say we moved the work forward too much, but what would have happened if I’d launched into my recommendation without listening first? I think I’d be undoing damage to the relationship for some time to come.
 
I’ve written so many posts about listening. If you are a frequent reader of this blog, you may be tired of them. But, as for me, I could always use another reminder about this important skill. Over the course of the coming year with Leslie, she and I will reap benefits because I listened first.


This week, you might want to take a look at:
 
Professional growth partners pair teachers for ingrown PD:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLBVJfQHQoQ
 
 
Helping anxious students re-adjust to social settings:
 
https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/58462/how-to-help-anxious-students-re-adjust-to-social-settings
 
 
This podcast about the importance of Maslow’s fourth tier:
 
https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/maslow-esteem/
 
Why teachers should be asking more questions in their classroom:
 
https://www.teachthought.com/critical-thinking/always-on-inquiry-asking-more-questions-classroom/
 
Why kids shouldn’t sit still in class:
 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/well/family/why-kids-shouldnt-sit-still-in-class.html?_r=0
 
That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!
 
Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Follow on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch or Twitter @vscollet for more coaching and teaching tips!  You can also find me at VickiCollet.com



No comments:

Post a Comment