Friday, April 12, 2019

Create Teachers as Extraordinary!


Today I conferred with a teacher who said she really struggled with classroom management. Although I could have simply agreed with her (Yes, you really are bad at that!), I don’t think it would have won me any ground with her.  Instead, I told her the truth in a way that built her up:  “At the beginning of the lesson,” I said, “I saw you come in really firm.  I heard resolve in your voice. You asked for students’ feet to point toward you.  You waited for full attention.  You acknowledge students who were ready.”  I said all these things in a slow, assured tone. I made sure it sunk in.

Then, talking a little faster, in a voice that was a bit quieter, I acknowledge this hadn’t been the case throughout the entire lesson.  “As the lesson went on,” I said, “you did seem to get caught up in the details of the lesson and lose some of that confident expectation.  Maybe you were thinking harder about what to do next and less about students’ participation.  I think you just need more experience with using this new teaching approach.”  The tension was easing from Cynthia’s shoulders as I continued talking, and she began to smile.  “Early in the lesson, I saw the stance and tone of someone with great classroom management,” I said.  “You’ve got this!”

Cynthia talked a bit more about her concerns, and I slipped in a few classroom management tips, but the rest of our conversation focused, as it should, on students’ learning.  As far as classroom management goes, what was really lacking was her confidence (students can smell fear!), so I bolstered that.  In Cynthia’s mind (and my own), I created her as an extraordinary teacher – who just had a few minor rough edges to smooth.  I wasn’t sugar-coating the conversation; I was describing what I had seen when I chose to look for the best in her.

There has been so much research about how teachers’ perceptions of their students influences student achievement.  I haven’t done the research (yet!), but my hypothesis is that the same holds true for the coach-teacher relationship.  When coaches choose to see teachers as extraordinary, teachers rise to the occasion.  It seemed to work with Cynthia today.

As you contemplate your own view of a teacher you are working with (maybe one you’ve viewed as struggling), consider how you might recreate her, instead, as extraordinary.  What values does she have?  In what ways is she important? What virtue would she benefit from being recreated with?  (Pause and think about those questions and that teacher for a moment.)

I’m confident that we can see something extraordinary in every teacher, and we can help them see it in themselves.  And extraordinary people are usually open to becoming even more extraordinary!


p.s.  Life skills tip:  You can practice this with your significant other.  It might have been a while since you thought about what makes him or her extraordinary.  Try focusing on those attributes and see how it affects your interactions.  J    

This week, you might want to take a look at:

Creating a comfortable classroom:



Take time for reflection while there’s still time for adjustment before the school year closes:



Tips for using mentor texts effectively:



Leveraging teacher leaders to boost coaching impact:



Sketchnoting for you and your students – try it during read alouds:


Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)
Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment