Friday, April 13, 2018

Tell Me More Questioning


If you’re of my era, you probably remember the song from the movie Grease by Olivia Newton John and John Travolta, “Summer Lovin’.”  In that song, friends frequently repeat the refrain, “Tell me more, tell me more,” wanting juicier details about the budding romance.  (Have you got the song running through your head now?”)

That song comes to my mind when I use “Tell me more,” in a coaching conversation.  “Could you say more about that?” is a question that allows coaches to collect information so that we understand the situation, and the teacher, better.

When a teacher expresses frustration about test scores, I ask, “Tell me more,” and she provides an oral analysis that helps both of us understand the data better.

When a teacher reflects on a lesson that went well, saying, “They really got it!” I can help her recognize and then repeat effective aspects of the lesson by asking, “Tell me more.”

When a teacher says, “This intervention isn’t working for Sonja,” my request for more information may lead us to an instructional variation we haven’t thought of yet.

After we have a little more information about what the teacher knows, believes, and understands, we are ready to enter the conversation more productively. Depending on the teacher’s response, we can follow up with , a recommendation, a more specific question, or affirmation of an idea that has been expressed.  Our communication, and thus our coaching, improves when we ask the teacher to “Tell me more.”  If you think your conversations would benefit from more input, jot the phrase, “Tell me more,” on a sticky note and give it a try!


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Powerful ideas for poetry in Middle and High School:



Using podcasts and “kidcasts” to support learning:



Tech support for coaches (and other great ideas!):



Teaching revision through talk, routines, and drawing:



6 Flaws of PD (and how to fix them):


That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

Was this helpful?  Please share!
Want to know about new posts? Click “Follow” (bottom right)

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment