Friday, December 30, 2016

Reserving Judgment

"Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope."
F. Scott Fitzgerald, in The Great Gatsby

Following classroom observations, it’s easy to judge and recommend. And there are times when a recommendation is the “just right” coaching move. But frequently, asking a question is a more cognitively engaging approach. I love the Fitzgerald quote, above, because it demonstrates positive assumptions. Rather than judging, I can ask a question that helps me understand a teacher’s thinking. And that thinking might be brilliant!

The chart below lists some things I saw during a recent observation. I noted these in all caps in my notes so that I would be sure to address them during our debrief. (I’ve found that hitting the “caps lock” key is the quickest way to emphasize something while I script a lesson.) When planning for our conference, I crafted the questions to the right.

When I saw this…..
I asked this….
On lesson plans, an objective was to use the associative property, but during the lesson students were encouraged to use grouping to multiply.
Where were you expecting students to use the associative property?
Teacher asked students to rewrite their solution to the math problem on the board to show their thinking to the class.
Why did you use the board instead of the document camera to show student work?
A student who had used an efficient strategy that wasn’t noted by the teacher during whole group discussion.
Did you see Adrian's thinking?
A star on the paper of a student who had an incorrect answer.
What does it mean when you put a star on a student’s paper?
Some students not working, some finished; teacher gives class more time to work.
Why did you give students more time to work?

What follows these questions might be a recommendation, but often the act of questioning prompts an insightful explanation or the teacher’s own appropriate adaptations or next steps. For example, when I asked the question about the associative property, the teacher realized on her own that she was mislabeling the strategy. My question about the document camera was a bit of a disguised recommendation, but I honestly thought she might have a specific reason for the recopying. Instead, my question led her to revise her approach to having students share their work, using the document camera to save time and enhance visibility. My question about Adrian led to a discussion of not only this student, but how others might benefit from a differentiated assignment. That’s not where I expected that question to go, but it made an excellent area of focus as the teacher planned an upcoming lesson.

Restraining judgement and, instead, asking questions can reap rewards, encouraging teachers to take an active role during debrief conversations.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Coaching for differentiation:



Measuring student engagement with an “engagometer”:



Ed Week special issue on writing: Ideas for developing students' analytical skills and the role of creative writing in the classroom:



This video on station rotations and other approaches to blended learning:



Content-area literacy or disciplinary literacy – what’s the shift and how does it look across disciplines:


That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!


No comments:

Post a Comment