Friday, April 29, 2016

Coaching with Kid Gloves

The GIR Model is a fluid description of how coaching changes over time. The way we apply it is contextualized and based upon the needs of the teacher we are coaching. Every teacher is different, so as we plan for support, we keep in mind what we have learned along the way about that teacher’s needs.

I was reminded of the importance of keeping these needs in mind as I met with Cindy this week. Cindy is a very hard worker. She is pleasant, loves her job, and wants to do what is best for kids. She wants to be better at what she does. And, quite honestly, she needs to be better at what she does. I’ve noticed, though, that Cindy takes feedback very personally; an insensitively-delivered comment can burst her happiness bubble and set her back for weeks. She can be very hard on herself. Knowing this influences how I use every single move on the GIR model.

Because she needs it, I open every conversation with praise, and I usually close it the same way. But I know praise isn’t going to inspire needed changes, so I often model or recommend. Modeling is well-received, but I have to be careful that Cindy doesn’t put my teaching on a pedestal that is above her reach. I always ask about things she sees in my teaching that could be changed the next time, and if she doesn’t notice them, I point them out myself.

When I make a recommendation to Cindy, I often begin with “I wonder…..” so that she doesn’t feel that her current mode of operation is being criticized. “I wonder what would happen if you introduced fractions using a number line” feels a lot softer than, “You should plan to use a number line when introducing fractions.” The more direct approach is fine for some, but not for Cindy.

When I sense that Cindy is ready for questioning as the dominant coaching move, I tend to use more probing questions. This type of inquiry shows my honest curiosity in the teaching and learning that is going on in her classroom. It also gets me further than the inquiring questions I use frequently with other teachers. Those more open questions, I’ve noticed, often fail to hit their mark with Cindy, I think because she just doesn’t want to put an idea out there and have it be “wrong.”

When I affirm Cindy’s instructional decisions, there is sometimes a clinginess that I don’t feel with other teachers. We say that the difference between affirming and praising is whether the teacher is looking for approval. In Cindy’s case, that is very clearly the case. Just like praising, affirming is a frequent coaching move in my interactions with Cindy.

These realizations came to mind as I planned for my coaching conference with Cindy this week. At the conference, Cindy greeted me with a worry – an email received from a colleague left her concerned that she had done something wrong. She shared the email and we calmed her fears. “Thanks,” she said, “I feel so much better! I’m glad we’re so close.”

I’m glad, too. It hasn’t been easy getting there. With Cindy, the coaching journey is a cautious one. My steps are trepidatious – I have to test the ground before I move. I have to think things through before I say them and measure what the impact might be. With Cindy, I am coaching with kid gloves. For some, the light touch is the best touch.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

Ideas for efficient end-of-year assessment:



It’s Dr. Seuss – it’s supposed to be good for you!



Using Google forms to simplify grading:



12 Ways Teachers are Using Social Media in Their Classrooms:




The art of making a book recommendation:




That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

1 comment:

  1. Professionally written blogs are rare to discover, however I apprehend all of the factors referred to right right here. I also need to include a few different writing competencies which every person must privy to. distance learning courses

    ReplyDelete