Friday, February 5, 2016

Inviting Wonderings

All thinking begins with wonder.

                                      ~Socrates

This week, I’ve been at a conference with the theme, “Illuminating A World of Wonder” (thank you, CCIRA!). As I’ve listened to speakers and participants make connections to the importance of wondering, I’ve thought about the utility of “I wonder” statements when coaching. “I wonder” awakens curiosity and arouses motivation, both of which are important catalysts for change.

Wondering can happen throughout the coaching cycle. After I’ve modelled in a classroom, I often ask, “Thinking back on that lesson, what are you wondering about?” This question takes a modeling experience and turns it into an opportunity for inquiry. “I wonder” coaching statements might also take the form of a recommendation: “I’m wondering what would happen if……” A powerful way to use “I wonder” statements frames them as questions: “I’m wondering what other ways……” As noted in last week’s post, “I wonder” statements can also be affirming (as in, “I wonder how you might share that with others!). Whichever way you use an “I wonder” statement, my hunch is that you’ll find that these phrases catalyze thinking and engage teachers as problem-solvers.

When we turn the tables and ask teachers what they are wondering about, we expand the impact. P. David Pearson (my research idol!) notes that “Asking a question calls for more cognitive demand than answering one.” So giving teachers the chance to generate their own wonderings ensures their cognitive engagement with the task of instructional improvement.

As you’re planning for upcoming coaching conversations this week, try an “I wonder” statement on for size. These two words can create a sense of wonder about student learning that will energize the work.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

A video demonstrating the see-wonder-think sequence that builds students’ analysis skills (in art and beyond):



Seven ideas for replacing worksheets with wonder:



Tips on transitioning from teacher to coach:



Conferring during writer’s workshop:



Teaching Channel’s whitepaper on how video is redefining professional development:



That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

Like on Facebook at: facebook.com/mycoachescouch for more coaching and teaching tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment