Friday, April 10, 2015

Keep a Good Thing Going!

I’ve always known that asking good questions was a useful coaching tool to encourage teacher reflection. But recently I realized another move from the GIR model also plays this role.

I was working with a team of fifth-grade teachers  who were under a lot of pressure to increase their students’ writing skills. These teachers were stressed! Intuitively, I gave them a lot of praise after observing their teaching. I think I knew it would build our trust, but what I realized is that my praise really got them thinking about their practice. When I praised something (“Having students use the rubric made peer feedback focused and useful!”), I noticed them traveling back in their minds to remember that part of the lesson. Their response to my praise was often an insight about why it worked. The conversation seemed to cement that effective practice in their minds and ensure that it would continue. 

I’ve always suspected that the right kind of praise was a good thing. When I read coaching books that said not to praise, it didn’t feel quite right. So I’ve been affirmed as both my own research and that of others* has recognized the important role of praise. Specific praise has been found to increase motivation, efficacy, creativity, and willingness to take risks. It enhances reflection and keeps a good thing going!


*Other research includes:
Blasé, J., & Kirby, P. (2008). Bringing out the best in teachers: What effective principals do (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks:
Corwin Press.
Dweck, C. (2002). Messages that motivate: How praise molds students’ beliefs, motivation, and performance (in
surprising ways). In J.Aronson (Ed.), Improving academic achievement: Impact of psychological factors on education (pp.37-59). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
Margolis, J. & Nagel, L. (2006). Education reform and the role of administrators in mediating teacher stress. Teacher
Education Quarterly, 33(4), 143-159.
Stone, D., Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2009). Beyond talk: Creating autonomous motivation through self-determination

theory. Journal of General Management, 34, 75-91.


This week, you might want to take a look at:

A post on how poetry matters:



An audio file on the same topic (click on the audio icon):


Creating an iPad user contract with students:


A list of environmental service projects for youth:


A Pinterest Board with strong girls in books:

A blog post about “fixing” professional development:


That’s it for this week. Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment