Friday, September 26, 2014

Finding the Right Match


“Matchmaker, matchmaker look through your book and make me a perfect match!”

Sheldon Harnick, for “Fiddler on the Roof”

As a mentor, have you thought of yourself as a matchmaker?  Sometimes making a recommendation means finding the perfect match. 

This week, a novice teacher I’m working with continued her struggle with classroom management.  I walked into the room as she was trying the latest iteration of her (so-far) unsuccessful approaches to get students to stop and listen.  It was the “wait for silence” strategy.  The problem was, her first-graders didn’t get the message.  Instead of growing more and more silent, they grew more and more restless until finally there were several students actually jumping up and down in their circle on the rug.  It was time to make a recommendation.

I thought about the teacher, her personality and her teaching philosophy.  Megan has a gentle disposition, a timid nature, and an endearing smile.  She has lots of love in her heart and a philosophy that students need a nurturing approach.  What classroom management technique could I recommend that would be a good match?  I decided on the silent signal and sent her the following e-mail:

Hi, Megan -

Hope you are having a great Thursday! I appreciate your gentle approach with the children in your class and know that your love and tenderness will take you far in your career as a teacher. I'd like to offer a tip for classroom management that I hope would feel consistent with your personality and philosophical approach to teaching. Here's a short video clip:


Let me know what you think!

Here’s the e-mail I got in return:

I truly appreciate this! I have been having a difficult time with my classroom management this week and therefore have been trying a variety of different techniques. Today I tried the "I will wait" approach (which you happened to see when you came in the room) and realized by the end of the day that it was not working. I definitely will be implementing the silent signal approach!

Thank you so much,
            Megan

When making a recommendation, it’s important to consider not just what you would do, but what the teacher would do.  Looking for a recommendation that will be a good fit increases the likelihood that the recommendation will be tried, applied, and continued.  If a teacher is requesting help, she’s really asking, “Find me a match of my own!”


This week, you might want to take a look at:

A video clip from “Fiddler on the Roof” – to remind you of your resolve to be a good matchmaker!

 

How writing in every class builds connections across academic areas:

 

Thoughts about PLCs and teacher learning:

 

This video showing debrief circles in math:

 

This Reading Today article about using music and movement to improve reading comprehension:

 

That’s it for this week.  Happy Coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment