Friday, February 15, 2013

Ask the Expert

Yesterday I went to the dentist.  This was my first visit since our relocation, so I had some trepidation.  My husband had assured me I would like this dentist’s style – her great customer service, her clear descriptions of possibilities and procedures.  Still, I felt unsure.  I like my teeth and want a dentist who likes them too!  When I met Dr. Bryant I knew I was in expert hands.  Our initial consultation  was held in a comfy room without any equipment; then I was shepherded into the photo center.   After lots of digital photos of my mouth from every angle (“Smile!”  “Smile again!”  “Chin up – smile once more!”), the x-ray machine went into operation, and all the images were projected on a big screen.  Dr. Bryant revealed the unexpected and unwanted:  I had a cavity.

Now, I pride myself on having good teeth.  The word “cavity” is not in my vocabulary!  Sensing my disquiet, Dr. Bryant said, “You could wait until your appointment in six months and see what is happening.  But I would recommend taking care of this right now.”

I did not phone a friend.  I did not poll the audience.  I had the expert in the room, and even though she was saying something I did not want to hear, I trusted her judgment and scheduled the follow-up appointment. 

I thought about this experience as I sat down to write about the coach’s role in making recommendations.  When coaches make recommendations, they are taking on an expert stance.  Studies indicate that taking the consulting role and offering suggestions to improve instruction can be an effective coaching practice.  When coaches review available data, including classroom assessments and observations, and then access their relevant background knowledge and experience, making recommendations can appropriately scaffold teachers as they develop new instructional strategies. 

In the GIR model, making recommendations is most prevalent near the beginning of a coaching cycle and then decreases sharply as coaching progresses.  Not all teachers need or want recommendations, but for those who are looking to you for your expert guidance, making recommendations fills an important role.  By making recommendations, coaches encourage teachers to attend to important instructional goals and support continuous improvement.

When it comes to caring for my teeth, I want the opinions of an expert.  There is too much at stake.  Similarly, there is much at stake in our educational encounters with children.  Coaches can support the use of high-yield strategies as they make recommendations that are tailored to the context.  When teachers ask for recommendations, they are looking to you as an expert.  If you are at this point in the coaching cycle, smile and feel confident that you should take that expert role!  
 

Look at:
 
*This video with tips for classroom management - the100% Technique from Teach Like a Champion:  (Remember that sharing a video can provide a model – the most highly-scaffolded coaching move!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0ltKOwF_A

 
*Marzano’s tips for highly-engaged classrooms:  (scan the blue topics for a quick overview)


 
*Suggestions for setting up Math Workshop (you can skip their plug for a specific program!):



 *Doug Fisher’s thoughts about teaching with complex texts:

http://www.reading.org/general/Publications/blog/BlogSinglePost.aspx/engage/2013/01/29/text-complexity-thinking-about-scope-and-sequence

 
*Dick Allington’s Big Six:  (Six steps educators can do to get students reading)



That’s all for this week – happy coaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment